S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Order of modifying a street/track car

Old 03-08-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Order of modifying a street/track car

Hey everyone. I just ran my first track down last Sunday @ California Speedway. I can't even begin to describe how great a time I had. I know that the best advise I could receive is "driving instruction" would be the best way to go faster and I completely agree. I'm looking into that. But what about the car? What are some of the first things usually done to a street/track car. I say street/track because I don't have the $$$ or desire to trailer. I want to get it street legal (as possible ) Is it brakes first? Tires? Supercharger last? If you're one of those blazing fast guys I envied this past weekend, how did you start (with your car mods)? Thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Brake pads and tires is really all you need for atleast the first year.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Oh yeah, making it to every speedventures event so you can measure yourself against other s2k drivers

And welcome to the gofastcrack pipe
Old 03-09-2005, 02:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I did to my track driven S2000 was add Kumho V700 tires, Cobalt Friction brake pads, Valvoline Synpower brake fluid and put on a bigger front swaybar (Comptech adjustable). I also added a racing seat, rollbar and harness for safety. I had a lot of fun with that configuration for 3 years and then built up a Spec Miata for track driving.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to your new money pit...

I always suggest a slow start and a contemplation of if you are going to get into autox competition too. If you are just going to be a track junkie you can put some mods on your car that some people do not put on their car because in the world of autox it would bump them up into another category. For myself I only autix for fun, so I don't care about the rules, I have put my S together for the track because that is all that matters to me.

Here is what I would concentrate on, and yes, I assure you some people wil disagree with some of these suggestions, but only you can decide what is right for you,
* All the tools and supplies to do pad changes at the track, jack, jack stands, torque wrench...
* X-brace and a shock tower brace such as Neuspeed
* Maybe a rear suspension brace (I accomplished this when I had a rollbar fabricated)
* Race brake fluid such as ATE
* Track pads such as Cobalt spec-VR and spec-C
* R-compound tires on an extra set of wheels, such as Toyo RA-1 and used OEM 16" wheels
* Modifry redline warning beeper, there is no substitute!
* Good pair of driving shoes, Racer Wholesale has good stuff at good prices
* Mugen radiator cap, fan switch and thermostat

Have fun!
Old 03-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Mar 9 2005, 06:02 AM
Welcome to your new money pit...
Here is what I would concentrate on, and yes, I assure you some people wil disagree with some of these suggestions, but only you can decide what is right for you,
Like me? You have a number of items that make no difference at all. They won't hurt either, but you're wasting atleast 3 track days of money on stuff that isn't needed.

* All the tools and supplies to do pad changes at the track, jack, jack stands, torque wrench...
* Race brake fluid such as ATE
* Track pads such as Cobalt spec-VR and spec-C
* R-compound tires on an extra set of wheels, such as Toyo RA-1 and used OEM 16" wheels
* Modifry redline warning beeper, there is no substitute!
* Good pair of driving shoes, Racer Wholesale has good stuff at good prices
k I agree with this. Shift beeper isn't really needed either, but if you find you have to look too much to see what rpm you're in then it won't hurt either.

* X-brace and a shock tower brace such as Neuspeed
* Maybe a rear suspension brace (I accomplished this when I had a rollbar fabricated)
* Mugen radiator cap, fan switch and thermostat
Waste of money. This stuff adds weight and offers no additional stiffness to anything but -maybe- the craziest race prepped car on slicks. The cap/thermo/fan switch makes no difference on the because they don't increase the cooling capacity of the car, you're thermo's gonna be fully open by the end of the 2nd lap.

If you have burning desire to mod your car feel free and make yourself happy. If you already have some the parts above, I wouldn't worry about pulling them off (yet), But that crap above is atleast 2 weekends with speedventures. Unless you're trying to save weight in the rear poket

I hope to see you at a SV event soon! Come say hello.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:28 AM

I would say a turbocharger would be the first thing to buy, this car has no torque.

No, seriously, krazik is right, you don't need much with this car. I went ahead and bought a bunch of stuff too early when I couldn't maximize the car's potential so now I'm heading back to stock mostly. After a few events, and when you feel comfortable you may want to think about purchasing an extra set of rims for race tires.

Sri
Old 03-09-2005, 08:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will join the crowd:

1) a good set of tools: low saddle floor jack, jack stands, a full set of metric sockets and wrenches (or two sets, or more...), a rear brake piston tool (cheap and works much better than the 3/8 extension bar trick), torque wrenches... (I also really like my cordless impact wrench for making tire changes easy and quick.)

2) track pads and track brake fluid (necesary after your first few track days)

3) redline beeper (not necessary, but one of the best driving performance enhancers available, IMHO)

That's all that is necessary to go 10-20 track days before you start running out of car. Seriously! And by then you will know what else you want.

Getting the good pair of driving shoes and driving gloves is something I waited 20 track days to do, but now think I should have done sooner.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:07 AM

I'm with Krazik. All you need are race pads (not intermediate!) which you change on track days, and race fluid as the minimum, then shaved RA1 tires (no substitute), 205-245 if you don't already have a bigger front swaybar, or 225-245 if you do, as the next mod. Everything else (even other go-fast parts like coilovers) is a distraction to first learning how to drive the car fast. After you feel you are competitive with these then you can add or substitute.
Safety parts are the exception (can never have too much and how much is up to your personal level of risk acceptance).

BTW, I made the mistake of modding too much too early and I believe it slowed my learning (plus causing me to lose a car before I learned how to drive).
Old 03-09-2005, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by krazik,Mar 9 2005, 12:10 PM
If you have burning desire to mod your car feel free and make yourself happy. If you already have some the parts above, I wouldn't worry about pulling them off (yet), But that crap above is atleast 2 weekends with speedventures. Unless you're trying to save weight in the rear poket
Opinions vary, I do not agree with you and I knew full well you would be one of the guys who said the structural things were a waste.

My driving schools are all free.

Quick Reply: Order of modifying a street/track car