S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Oil temp rise on hard lefts?

Old 11-28-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what a normal stock s2000 does when everything is working correctly, meaning the engine, logger, sensors, etc. Your data raises a lot of questions that i think might help shed some light. First you have to make sure the squiggly lines are telling the truth. What's the logging rate of the ecu? What's the transmit rate from ECU to the logger? Whats the final logging rate from the Aim logger? What sensor is this?

The video gives me a clue more than the data, because the view in the AIM software doesn't show great detail on the oil temp vs time/distance. You are seeing a 40f swing in under 1 second on a temp sensor with that smartycam data. Not normal for a metal fluid sensor even if those engine conditions were true. Most off the shelf fluid temp sensors are not that fast. A pressure sensor - absolutely, but not a temp.

FYI your engine oil pressure data looks faulty too. from the little info we've got so far, your engine is running fine, your logger, sensors, ecu, or comms are not correct. I don't think you are working with good data that you can start to draw conclusions from...

-Paddy
Old 11-28-2016, 08:36 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

So everything is coming through the K-pro on the CANBUS channel but i suspect the pressure/temp probes have some kind of noise issue.

Your graph above is exactly what I was looking for. In that where do you have the pressure probe tapped?
Old 11-29-2016, 03:33 AM

The OEM oil pressure sensor port on the block.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:16 AM

Skimmed through your "how to" thread... Some good work in there. I'm sure that was helpful to some.

It's a wiring issue or configuration issue if you are on a OEM ecu wiring loom. OEM looms are shielded properly from honda to protect the surrounding circuits from noise.
Your locations for the sensors are fine.
Did you confirm the delphi part number on that temp sensor and the part # of the pressure sensor? Does it match the hondata config in the pull down menu?
Did you wire in the correct 1.5K ohm pull up on the temp circuit? How is it crimped? The temp needs the pullup, the pressure sensors don't.
Are you wired into sensor 0V not batt ground?
Is your 5v supply stable in the log files?
Did you check the operation of the pressure sensor at idle vs other guys? Did you check the temp sensor at room temp? Very easy to check operation in the garage. The pressure sensor seems like it is configured completely wrong based on the AIM data.
If you compare the hondata log with the AIM log are they the same for both channels? That would rule out a comms issue.

You're gunna hate hearing this, but if all the above stuff is done correctly, it's time to remove the vampire clips and splice with better components to rule out bad connections.

Splices:
https://www.waytekwire.com/item/3107...ce-Connector-/

Shrink
https://racespeconline.com/collectio...nt=23009229697

At our shop we use these:
Splices:
https://racespeconline.com/collectio...nt=20248833985
Tool:
https://racespeconline.com/collectio...nt=17584267777
Old 11-29-2016, 12:43 PM

Im using VCC3 off the ecu, and before i tapped it i checked with a probe it gets 5v at key on. Thats the only vampire clip in the setup because I loathe cutting OEM harnesses.

All joints and the molex pins are solder/shrinkwrap, except the 3 way. which is solder and tape.

Im starting to think there might be an electrical interference component to this. I have the wiring trunk to the sensors coming through the firewall and running around behind the motor. and around the battery to keep it away from heat but im wondering if its proximity to the cyl4 coil might be causing the weird readings.

Going to shield the wires and see if it helps any.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:52 AM

The plot thickens. Im now leaning toward it being related to some kind of electrical interference. I drove the car to work this AM and datalogged the drive in and it seems the erratic nature calms down when the engine isnt being driven hard.

Im going to re-route the wiring completely away from the firewall so it doesnt have to pass by the ignition coil and battery and see if that makes a difference.