S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: What should be done about off-topic posts in the Racing and Competition forum?
The moderators should move them to S2000 Talk.
43.40%
They should be left in Racing and Competition, and people should make an effort to answer them constructively.
22.64%
They should be left in Racing and Competition, and people should make an effort to flame them.
16.98%
I don't consider off-topic posts in Racing and Competition to be a problem.
16.98%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Non-Racing and Competition posts in this forum

Old 10-20-2004, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Oct 20 2004, 08:57 AM
Results
The moderators should move them to S2000 Talk.
[ 17 ] [43.59%]
They should be left in Racing and Competition, and people should make an effort to answer them constructively.
[ 9 ] [23.08%]
They should be left in Racing and Competition, and people should make an effort to flame them.
[ 7 ] [17.95%]
I don't consider off-topic posts in Racing and Competition to be a problem.
[ 6 ] [15.38%]

A Call to Action for 17 people
Show me what you consider off topic, as in specific threads with links
Triple-H, I'm sorry. I seem to have gotten confused over who the moderator of this forum is.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=11&t=243529
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=11&t=243590
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=243029
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=233009
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=241295
Old 10-20-2004, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=11&t=243529
s2k best road course setup, s2k front and rear sways
He is looking for some help setting up his car for a road course; seems on topic to me

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=11&t=243590
Tein RA or Tein Flex for occational autoX, like 2, 3 times autox in a year max
Same thing, he is looking for help with specific spring rates, in theory we are the ones who not only can answer the question, but can also offer up some real life experience. I left this one alone for a while to see if it was going to get back to something constructive, I see that was a bit too optimistic; it started out on topic to me

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=243029
Neuspeed sway bars and camber plates question., How to delete understeer
Same thing, the guy came right out and said he was new at this stuff, I don
Old 10-20-2004, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matrix,Oct 20 2004, 10:49 AM
You can state that about ANY of the forums in S2ki...they all form cliques...it's natural so that is completely irrelevant.

Fact of the matter is that only the contributors to R&C can "fix" the problem...what are you going to do - lock the forum down to just the regulars?
i hope you're just being argumentative....and not serious.

it's absolutely relevant - and frankly, the point of the matter.

R&C shouldn't be clique-y. just as T&W isn't. just as Car Talk isn't. just as S2000 Talk isn't.

of course the regionals (highest percentage of forums on the board) are clique-y - that's the purpose. of course vintage is clique-y - again, that is the point.

some forums should be objective, this being one of them.

i agree with your 2nd para.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Oct 19 2004, 12:56 PM
without prejudice (i've always wanted to write that )

the problem is that there are only a handful of die-hard competitors in here - all of whom know each other personally or have a professional/competitive relationship with each other.

the forum reeks of being a "clique".

if you guys have the experience, why wouldn't you answer my "canyon carving" question? i love my car, i drive it 50K a year, yet circumstances dictate that i can only go to the track 3-4 times a year. does that mean i'm not interested in having the best-handling car? of course not.

not everyone has the time to be obsessed with "racing and competition" as all of you. dare i say, you guys are semi-professionals.

act like it.

There are no canyons in Toronto so you're off-topic, beotch.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are some off topic threads but not that many so what's the problem? People who post here don't read all of the forums which can be said about most of the forums inhabited by regulars. Most people graduate out of S2000 Talk when "what RPM do you have on the freeway" no longer interests them. People start there and then gravitate towards those "Special Interest" forums (see above) which interest them most. Hell even I don't read most of the other forums even occationally nevermind regularly.

Yes, this is a sub-community of the larger whole for those who's interests are in "racing" type events (not on the road). There are the regulars, the lurkers and the mildly interested. In the end this forum and most of the others with exceptions are about a community of folks sharing a common interest and not about highly classified and rigidly organized snippits of data units.

True you will find "off-topic" posts in here (those not directly related to the subject) but those are, or at least should be, by regulars who are looking to communicate with a specific group of people rather than communicate a specific topic. There is nothing wrong with that in context. That's why we have moderators. They are supposed to sort that out. They should know who the regulars are and know when someone is just lost. If some guy who has been here a few days wants to know what the best exhaust is and posts it in here then it should be tossed out. If I post it or another regular posts it the moderator should be bright enough to know that while it may appear off-topic it is in fact "on-topic" given the history and context of the poster. When I ask such a question is will always fall within the context of R&C (weight, sound level, gains/loses, price) because that is my specific interest. I'd never ask for any other reason. The shape or color of the tips are of no interest to me nor are sound clips unless they reduce my lap times or allow me to run on certain tracks or events with sound limits.

That's why we have moderators and that is their job; learn who the regulars are and from that determine the context of the post. New people are always welcome but like the title suggests they need a specific interest in R&C or they likely won't get much of a reception. That means they need to be very specifically on-topic at first and as we learn who you are and what your interests are then we (and the mods) will be able to have a much better sense of what your intent is. The moderator should know who tracks, who autocrosses and how obsessively. If they don't they aren't doing their job.

Why is that so difficult? That's why we have humans in the loop.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:31 PM

Eric slams Nimesh...
Old 10-20-2004, 01:33 PM

I think this whole thread needs to be moved. I haven't picked up one iota of helpful R&C information in it yet.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Old 10-20-2004, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Oct 20 2004, 03:21 PM
i hope you're just being argumentative....and not serious.

it's absolutely relevant - and frankly, the point of the matter.
No, I am 100% serious...

Since this is just another forum that caters to those interested in R&C...which is (unfortunately or fortunately ) a small subset of the community...hence a clique will naturally form.

Clique :

1: A narrow circle of persons associated by common interests or for the accomplishment of a common purpose.

In this case the interest is R&C...the purpose - TO GO FAST!

Fact is they are a tight group, just like all the other sub forums....your just on the outside .....

I keep tellin' you to come out to more events, then you would realize that the stock suspension is very good....

BTW...aren't you part of the "Buddy Club" clique?
Old 10-20-2004, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,Oct 20 2004, 04:30 PM
That's why we have moderators and that is their job; learn who the regulars are and from that determine the context of the post. New people are always welcome but like the title suggests they need a specific interest in R&C or they likely won't get much of a reception. That means they need to be very specifically on-topic at first and as we learn who you are and what your interests are then we (and the mods) will be able to have a much better sense of what your intent is. The moderator should know who tracks, who autocrosses and how obsessively. If they don't they aren't doing their job.
It takes a while but I think each day I get more of a handle on who is a regular and who is into what, keep in mind as many are on the west coast I have never had the chance to meet people, like many out there have. I believe I'm doing my job, and if not then people ought to send me a PM or let me know my services are no longer needed.

I agree with you on all points Eric, the only point of difference is I feel this statement ought to be explained more - they need a specific interest in R&C or they likely won't get much of a reception. Racing and Competition does not exclude those people who do not race and compete but use their cars at high performance driving schools, or have the desire to do so in the future.

Quick Reply: Non-Racing and Competition posts in this forum