S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Need advice in tuning suspension for Auto-X.. coilovers + fat rubber

Old 04-02-2004, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PedalFaster
[ Psst, jguerdat -- I don't think he got your point.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And my point is that you have to drive the car the way it needs to be driven, not the way you think it should react.

Your changing from a Porsche is like my changing from a Prelude - significantly different needs to go fast. The S simply isn't prone to understeer when driven properly and aligned properly. The '04s have a lack of stock camber in the front, leading to understeer but anything close to a proper competition-style alignment (including the U.K. alignment specs that I use) will fix that. That leaves driving style and figuring out what you need to do differently to go fast. Step #1 is to slow down to go faster.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:41 PM

Unless you have physics-defying-uberspension if you go into you a corner too hot you will understeer. Of course in the middle if you hit the brakes you may start to oversteer as you unweight the rear end. Going to hot into a corner is going to result in understeer..that is what he was getting at.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:31 AM

ahh yes.. this thread.. forgot about it for a while...

as an update.. i checked the alignment after the event and it turns out that the alignment was knocked off sometime between that event and the event before.. the rear toe was 0..

did a lot of testing and aligned the car accordingly.. the car is behaving like the asphalt hungry car we expected it to be...

Originally posted by jguerdat
And my point is that you have to drive the car the way it needs to be driven, not the way you think it should react.
true.. i should have been more specific and mentioned that the car was not performing as usual compared to previous autocrosses.. perhaps that might have clarified some things..
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jguerdat
...The S simply isn't prone to understeer when driven properly and aligned properly.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:34 AM

I'll vouch for JT-KGY's abilities. First time I saw him driving this ASP car, he was beating me. Currently, he's within about a second or 2 of the local ASP leaders, which would put him within 4-5 seconds of Gary T.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:51 AM

thanks for the compliment..

who's gary t?
Old 04-20-2004, 02:19 AM

Gary Thomason, winner of the first Nationals that had S2000s. Sold his S2K to Joe Goeke. Now running an ASP 'Vette...
Old 05-17-2004, 11:15 AM

Gary Thomason was at our event this weekend's championship.. holy crapp, he's a fast sob in his vette's asp.. all i can say is wow..

but on the bright side, i must be improving, my time is now within 2.5 sec. of him..

i wish i could have had him ride with me during the fun runs.. i would have loved to get some pointers..
Old 05-17-2004, 12:36 PM

You were flying this weekend, Kai. Congrats on posting a time for CASOC: something that's been my goal all season, but has eluded me time and again. I have to say, driving that BSP vette is addicting! It handles just like a miata/S2000, but with 3 times the torque and twice the grip. I just wish I hadn't gotten shafted on 2 of my runs. Stupid f'ing courseworkers.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:17 PM

thanks for the compliment.. i was kinda surprised when i saw my name in the team results.. that was cool..

i was soooo close to beating the asp leader this event.. 0.071 sec.

i heard about your runs how you had to slow down for a course worker who didn't get out of the way and for the next run with the cone out of place on the slolam.. i know it's very frustrating for you especially since you're running in a group of elite's where every hundredth's of a second counts...

Quick Reply: Need advice in tuning suspension for Auto-X.. coilovers + fat rubber