S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

NASA PTB race at Barber

Old 06-27-2008, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASA PTB race at Barber

Thought I'd post this for all the folks that like race videos.
part 1: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...27137758996506
part 2: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...32648790736799
Old 06-27-2008, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do these have the 350Z excitement?

See you at Road Atlanta (although, looking at the parking layout, HPDE'ers like myself won't be mingling with anyone...)
Old 06-27-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great video Matt. Was he break checking you in the last right hand carousel so his V6 could keep the 2 litter at bay for the front straight? He had a weird line in the begining but changed toward the end to protect the inside. I think you could have held him off if you could have got around him. Good driving! Now for video #2.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:15 PM

Video # 2, oh no, not him again! I knew you could get around him, just not where I thought you would get him. I can't believe he passed you back, DOH!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:19 PM

Rob - Did you watch both parts? I won the race

I have no idea what his true line would've been, I think he was doing everything to keep us behind. He was slower than both of us regardless of his line through the carousel.

We had agreed ahead of time to work together and try to create some space from the RX8, who was faster than both of us. When I realized how much faster the 8 was, I realized I had to get around the Z. Once I did get around him, the 8 broke and the Z faded back. I had a good gap until I was too slow getting through some traffic. The excitement happened when I got held up and he had lots of speed. He tried a move on the outside...BONZAI!!! He didn't wreck, but he didn't win either.

The excitement is on the 2nd video.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:26 PM

I don't have tons of experience yet, being a rookie racer this year. But, there's just no way to have more fun than this, and this was the best race of the year so far.

You can't blame him for not trying I guess, although I do think he's a little too agressive sometimes. I try to play nice with everybody and give everybody plenty of room, as you can tell when the RX8 passed me. Maybe it's just me, but I think the 350Z should've given him some more room coming onto the front straight.

I didn't plan to pass him there, he was just braking WAY to early.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, watched 'em both.

Just so's I can see where I need to be quicker: stock AP1 gearing?

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who's never done w2w: seemed like you were getting raped in 15. Do you think it's the tight line through 14? A factor of torque?

EDIT: raped is way too strong a word for it, but it's there so I'll leave it.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:59 PM

I needed to carry more speed through 14 early on and couldn't because we were too close. Later in the race the car was sliding so bad through there that I still couldn't keep the speed up. I needed to be midrange revs and 3rd gear coming out in order to keep up.

Ideal for me would've been braking to the outside and accelerating through a late apex at 14. Quick breathe off the throttle for turning in at 15.

Yes, stock gears.

raped was good: when an S is loosing to an RX8 on the straights
Old 06-27-2008, 05:06 PM

Oh ya I watched both. I remebered the spin from your short vid on NASA forums. I saw that comin' when I realized the 2nd vid was a different race. Which race was HC and which was PT?

See, I have nothing better to do on a Friday night but watch racing vids!! Saving some $ for a cage I guess. My work is slow right now so saving is harder than normal.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:19 PM

Nope, both vids are the same race, Sunday's race. I haven't posted the Saturday race because it was pretty boring.

The lightning race includes all HC and PT classes. My car is built so that it can compete in either PTB or H1. I was racing in PTB that weekend, because there are no other competitors in the southeast in H1.

Quick Reply: NASA PTB race at Barber