S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

missing -1 degree of camber at the rear after crash

Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default missing -1 degree of camber at the rear after crash

I hit a concrete wall pretty bad with the left rear. The frame was pulled out and the left rear corner had all suspension,axle etc replaced

I went to the same alignment place I always do and I remember the car would get -3.0+ camber easy but now it maxxes out at -2.4 on both sides?
I didn't change the ride height on coilovers after the accident

I could understand if the left was a bit off being crashed on that side but I can't figure how it lost camber on both sides?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 01-06-2012, 02:47 PM
JJ7

I know my rear camber varies ~0.5 deg. between alignments. Particularly after tire change. There are no other variables for me. Same shop, tech, and suspension.

JJ
Old 01-06-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I know this might sound dumb, but any chance the alignment shop changed their equipment, or re-calibrated their old equipment?
Old 01-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is your suspension set (rebound / compression) the same? This may seem a little silly, but if sitting higher because it hasn't "settled" on the shocks, the height could affect the alignment. That being said, I wouldn't worry about it if it's both sides.

The other thing that may have happened: one trick that people use to max camber (especially in front where it's limited).... they loosen the bolts in the suspension and compress everything with a jack before tightening to "offset" everything just a little bit more. Usually you can eek out 0.2-0.4 more just by virtue of a little room in the bolt holes to shift things a touch.

If the shop took out the rear subframe and other suspension parts when they straightened the frame, they could have done the opposite and cost you a few tenths of camber.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
I know this might sound dumb, but any chance the alignment shop changed their equipment, or re-calibrated their old equipment?
no thats what I thought but someone put a camber gauge on it after it was corner balances (and raised up 1/4inch) and it said -2 1/4 degrees thats about right

CKit the left side the shock was rebuilt but realy the right side was untouched as far as I know but I guess maybe something shifted

It is possible the shop's alignment rack was wrong before a while and they had it corrected but the front seems to be where it should.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by CKit
The other thing that may have happened: one trick that people use to max camber (especially in front where it's limited).... they loosen the bolts in the suspension and compress everything with a jack before tightening to "offset" everything just a little bit more. Usually you can eek out 0.2-0.4 more just by virtue of a little room in the bolt holes to shift things a touch.
Oh wow thanks for posting this. Going to try this come spring on my s2000.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:53 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with CKit. Before I got the spherical bushings, I could tell if I put suspension arms on and cinched the bolts down before the car was on the ground. I'd get .25-.5 less camber out of a corner that way. I ended up using a floor jack under the lower balljoint to compress the suspension anytime that I put an arm back on the car. That let me cinch the bolts down tight without putting the car on the ground, and kept everything consistent.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Subframe bent? They bend easy. I think Honda made them out of noodles or some other italian food.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
Subframe bent? They bend easy. I think Honda made them out of noodles or some other italian food.
This.

Quick Reply: missing -1 degree of camber at the rear after crash