S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Metal Valve Stems

Old 07-04-2003, 09:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm cross posting to this forum because I haven't received much feedback to this thread in the Tire & Wheel forum. What valve stems would you recommend as a functional/appearance upgrade?

Here are some thoughts from Michelin in the Tire Rack website. Basicly Michelin recommends metal valve stems to improve air retention in wheels that see track duty.

Here are some forged aluminum valve stems.

And here are some traditional chromed metal valve stems.

So, what would you put on your OEM wheels?
Old 07-04-2003, 09:56 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Thanks Doc for the post. I was thinking about those today...Must be an across the swamp Jung thing....

Have you considered joining us on our run to key west Jul 17-21st?

Please do

fltsfshr
Old 07-04-2003, 10:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used cheap valve stems for years and have only had a leak that was at all obvious once with a defective or damaged stem. As often as pressures are checked and changed on the track (they go up and down with heat during a session) I can't imagine any advantage to a stem change. This whole deal sounds like a bunch of theoretical (or marketing) bunk to me.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that link! I ordered the chrome for my stock rims which I open track. I melted the valve stem caps off of the fronts at Laguna on June 1st!!!

So there's my choice... chrome.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I find that I burn myself and have trouble getting a quick pressure reading when I have to fool with the caps. I take them off at the track.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all of your replies. I've not yet made a decision, but want to offer the following feedback.

1) I've never had a problem with rubber valve stems, but once had a loose valve core that simply needed to be tightened in place. Information on this web page reports that some inexpensive rubber stems are made from natural rubber, a poor choice for performance driving since they don't tolerate heat cycling very well.

2) I find it easier to inflate and check pressure on wheels with metal stems since the stem does not flex.

3) I don't use valve caps on my track wheels either, but they have rubber stems.

4) I'm intrigued by the forged aluminum stems, both from an aesthetic and performance perspective, but am concerned because I haven't seen them perform on the track.

Keep the comments coming!
Old 07-06-2003, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by CoralDoc
Thanks for all of your replies. I've not yet made a decision, but want to offer the following feedback.

1) I've never had a problem with rubber valve stems, but once had a loose valve core that simply needed to be tightened in place. Information on this web page reports that some inexpensive rubber stems are made from natural rubber, a poor choice for performance driving since they don't tolerate heat cycling very well.

2) I find it easier to inflate and check pressure on wheels with metal stems since the stem does not flex.

3) I don't use valve caps on my track wheels either, but they have rubber stems.

4) I'm intrigued by the forged aluminum stems, both from an aesthetic and performance perspective, but am concerned because I haven't seen them perform on the track.

Keep the comments coming!
I wouldn't worry about the forged stems, have them on the spoon wheels I was running and now on the volk wheels. I do think they are more for aesthetic reasons but it does making filling them up easier.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

where can i get the volks racing valve stems? I'm looking for a set!
Old 08-24-2003, 11:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SuzukaS2K
[B]where can i get the volks racing valve stems?
Old 08-24-2003, 11:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by vapors2k

any dealer that sells volk wheels has them, or you can order them from america's tires or discount tire locations.
+

Discount tire have volks valve stems?

Quick Reply: Metal Valve Stems