S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Mental Preparedness?

Old 07-15-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by dc50818
Originally Posted by adrs2k
A lot of pro race car drivers try to have sex the night before or right before going out for a session...just saying
I'll go with that deff gonna show my girl this
A couple of my friends are professional race car drives, and they subscribe to this method the best they can...I have actually seen one of them do particularly well at an event when he had a "friend" come visit the track for the weekend.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I always tell my students "don't be a hero". Humility is key.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
If I don't know the track I usually watch youtube videos of similar cars on the course config, hopefully someone who knows the line
I agree with using youtube. One needs to be willing to filter through a lot of videos to find ones that will actually have similar cars and a slightly higher level of driving skill so that what's happening in the video is understandable. IE: Charles Ng's Button Willow 13CW lap in the stock CR is way beyond my driving skill, so it won't go well for me.

On the other hand, Jack Olsen's turn-by-turn tutorial video of Big Willow worked GREAT. Even though he's in a Rear engine, Rear drive car, he broke down every single turn in a way that I was able to understand so it wasn't too much to remember when I actually got out to the track.

As far as mental preparation, I find that clearing my bowels also clears my mind.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm a monkey see, monkey do driver.

I also study videos of similar prepared cars and competent drivers.

I count gears so I know what the ideal gear for each turn is, I don't worry myself about not having enough drive if I'm unfamiliar with the track I just want to make sure I eliminate one more thing to prepare for. Drive will also come with speed and familiarity.

I stop the video, screen capture, and print out turn ins and breaking markers and put it in binder and just flip threw them.

I also read and study what experts like billy Johnson say about the track.

I will also watch and breakdown exactly were my car should be (left, middle, right) at points of the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2014, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usualy prepare for a trackday drinking about 10 cans of coors light the night before and watch some videos on youtube maybe
Old 07-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did anyone read Ross bentlys email today? It was all about mental preparedness
Old 07-15-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

I consider myself HPDE 2 or Intermediate material. I drive on just a few tracks in the Northeast, so I more or less know what track layout to expect.

Although I try to find some video, I rarely find that studying the videos is very helpful - except for very unusual corners, such as the Oak Tree Corner at VIR where a unique entry and apex seems to be required. Rather, if I am able, I will try to get to the track early (or between sessions) and drive or walk out to as many corners as I can. Viewing the corners from the sidelines is critical to assessing how much run off room exists if you make an error, and will give you greater confidence to enter the corner faster. If I can get a track walk, I always take it. Usually there is far more track than we think and banking usually exists where we didn't see it.

In general to prepare for a track day on a known track, I try to think about how I can improve my corner speed. I identify the corners that I believe are key to improving my lap times. For example, at Lime Rock, I believe the most important corner for me in the Uphill (turn 5). At Watkins Glen, it is the Toe of the Boot. I try to assess what I might do to improve my speed in those corners. Is is less brake and higher turn in speed? Is it more acceleration through the corner? Is is a different line? Knowing generally what speed I have been entering and exiting the corner, I try to force myself to pick up the pace - especially to increase my momentum through the corner. Since my cars are momentum cars, usually, if I can improve my speed through that one corner, it carries through several other corners and for some distance around the track

If I've not been at the track recently, of if it is a new track, I study a track map. We've mostly done all of the corners somewhere else. I try to visualize how I might approach each corner (and of course, toss most of my planning out the window when I actually get to Turn 1).

When I have spun or had an off track incident, I try to analyze what exactly happened, and why. When I go back, I try to remember what happened so I don't make that same mistake again. I used to use the book "Going Faster" as my bible, and would refer to it fairly often. I spin less now, but I'm 2 wheels off more.

I always remind myself before every track event (an often just as I'm pulling out of the paddock): "Don't lift in the corners!" and "If two wheels off, ride it out!"

I think about possible rain lines in the event that we get poor weather.

Something to be said for Mrsidways' comment about lack of planning. I don't overdo the planning. I'm careful, and try to just go out and have fun.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:58 PM
TWF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My preparation goes like this, wake up as late as possible, have coffee and few cigarettes, run to bathroom to drop some weight and I am ready to hit the track
Old 07-15-2014, 07:26 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I think wheel to wheel, racing for money is one thing where you might need to get into the "zone"
But for the everyday guys like most of us here I think having fun with your friends shouldnt need to have a level to be prepared for that.
Make sure you got your helmet, air, psi gauge, and a lunch plan and have fun.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it helps (whilst drinking beer) to watch videos of fast drivers and preferably in a faster car. If you watch a porsche GT3 lapping over and over and get the track in your head it almost seems slowed down when you get on the track. A fast car might run a different line so Spec Miata / spec e30 videos are good for finding momentum lines to try but I don't like to get used to seeing the track go by slower than it will in my car.

If you lookup Mike Skeen on youtube he has video of just about ever major track in everything from Spec E30 to GT3 cars.
Then jump on iracing and try to do a lap without crashing!

Quick Reply: Mental Preparedness?