S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Mental Preparedness?

Old 07-15-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mental Preparedness?

I mainly come across threads relating to preparing a car before a track event. I’d like to focus more on the nut behind the wheel with this thread though.

How do people get themselves mentally prepared for an event? Are there certain things that people do the week of and the night before an event? Are there certain things that seasoned drivers find to be more significant than others?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

If I don't know the track I usually watch youtube videos of similar cars on the course config, hopefully someone who knows the line
Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a good amount of sleep the night before and don't drink a lot.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Pfft half bottle of Scotch Friday night, other half Saturday night.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what type of driving you're doing but I'd start by reading this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Inner-Speed-Se...5449996&sr=1-4

Then read this book if autocross is your method of money wasting

http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Autocr...5449996&sr=1-5

I have read every book about autocross there is and Winning Autocross Techniques is by far the best. I will never win nationals but this book (along with some excellent coaching from a national champ) has helped me a lot.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I don't know the track, I try to find as many videos with comparable cars to try to understand the track. Mianly I focus on braking and turn-in points. If the video has some telemetry, the next thing I focus on is corner entry speed. I will typically watch the videos and have the track map to try and note the turns as the videos play. If there is a PC sim racing version of the track, I'll download it and run it just to get an idea of the track (i.e. rFactor).

If it's a track I already know, I re-watch my videos making mental notes of things to "fix". I'll also do some visualization exercises (yes, like you saw in the movie Rush) where you close your eyes and imagine driving the track.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

A lot of pro race car drivers try to have sex the night before or right before going out for a session...just saying
Old 07-15-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
A lot of pro race car drivers try to have sex the night before or right before going out for a session...just saying
I'll go with that deff gonna show my girl this
Old 07-15-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Very easy to get in your own head. The year I won nationals was the year I prepped the least. Flew in last min, walked the course minimal times. Didn't have a game plan on how I was going to drive it just went out and drove what I saw. It was funny that I had no problem for years and years winning nearly every national tour and ProSolo I went to against the same people. Yet at Nationals I always over thought it and finished 2nd. I found with road racing If I'm constantly wrenching on the car I drive better. I could never have a team working on the car for me A. If I didn't tighten it.... it isn't tight, and B. the working on the car while at the track takes the rest of the usual boredom away associated with hanging around all day doing essentially nothing. I recently had this happen for an autocross where we were loosing and decided to make a last min change on the car that required borrowing tools running around a bunch and basically letting the car off the jack and pulling into line. That run I dropped the time for a Win and the change to the car wasn't significant enough for the time drop.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

i usually do one day events, so i have to leave my house around 4am. So for the week of the event i'll prepare myself by going to bed earlier and waking up a little earlier. I'll eat food that i know wont give me any troubles. I'll start drinking more fluids three days before an event if i'm driving top down. getting calm just takes some experience, after a few events you'll start having trouble waking up for the alarm.

Quick Reply: Mental Preparedness?