S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Making my car an S2000 race car

Old 01-05-2004, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by krazik

Just that if your running pad that lasts that long you should try other compounds too since its longevity usually means the compound was made for endurance racing where life is more important than raw performace.
Keep in mind that if the pad has the torque to engage ABS, there is no further "brake performance" possible. The only advantage he'd get by running a softer pad would perhaps be dropping his time to full brake lock by .001 seconds. On a track where he brakes full lock 7 times, that's a wopping .007 seconds off his times...sure as hell not worth another, say, $75 per track day in pads to me!
Old 01-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Of course I'm assuming he's not in abs every corner.

Richard?
Old 01-05-2004, 09:44 AM

Well, whether he's in ABS or not isn't really the point, I was just using it for an example. How do you perceive getting more performance out of a softer pad, if the pad he currently uses is capable of braking the car to full lock? I won't be surprised if there's a perfectly valid argument for the softer pad, I just can't think of one. What ingenious technical tidbit have you got to share with me today?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple comments. The seals not melting may be relevant to performance in that it suggests that the brakes may not be getting overheated as they were in my previous experience (unless the rubber material of the seal is now different on the '03). Recall also that Aaron B. drove my car at Spring Mountain and turned 1:50.xxx's and he thought the brakes felt great, and he was very surprised to see that we hardly wore the pads at all for the two days with both of us driving the car. The PFC97's are billed as endurance pads, but they seem to stop the car well enough, though to be honest I still want to try another pad as I rarely engage ABS even (maybe I am not sensitive or aware enough to feel it, or very sensitive and instinctively back off?). I do think there is less initial bite than I recall with the Brakeman #3's, but I am a lot smoother on and off the brakes than I used to be so not sure. Only answer is to try another pad, which I will.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by fluxen
Well, whether he's in ABS or not isn't really the point, I was just using it for an example. How do you perceive getting more performance out of a softer pad, if the pad he currently uses is capable of braking the car to full lock? I won't be surprised if there's a perfectly valid argument for the softer pad, I just can't think of one. What ingenious technical tidbit have you got to share with me today?
As stated above I made some assumptions about richards brake performance. Based mainly on my experience with Pagid Yellows which are also an endurance pad. While they lasted for ever, when I switched to a "softer" (non endurance) pad I found the braking performance increased quite a bit.

If someone is able to achieve full lock with a "harder" compound that never wears that would be ideal. But from my experience w/ stock s2k brakes, we benefit from the extra bite of a non endurance compound.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:30 AM

Rylan, also keep in mind you are running very grippy tires in the front and higher Mu pads for you will make a difference where running RA-1s on high Mu pads would limit the tires as the braking factor to engage abs.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Administrator

I ran RA1s for 2 years . Very familiar with the level of grip.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazik
I ran RA1s for 2 years .
Old 01-05-2004, 12:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazik
Old 01-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Times will likely not improve much as you spend the least time braking. If you can trigger the ABS then you have all the braking force you need or at least can use.

Quick Reply: Making my car an S2000 race car