S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Making my car an S2000 race car

Old 12-29-2003, 11:32 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default S2000 racing car

So I'm at a crossroads with the go fast crack pipe. Do I call it a day with my moderate modifications or do I go all the way like Krazik and DavePK? If I go all the way, full race, what will I be able to participate in? HPDE obviously, and I still need the practice . OTC I suppose. But at some point I'll want to go actual racing. What class would I be in for SCCA and/or NASA? Are there other options besides those organizations? Would my car be competitive? I'm just trying to get a feel for whether tearing up a 30K street car to convert it into a track only car is worth it. Thoughts?
Old 12-29-2003, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at the same crossroads a little less than a year ago.

Now, my car is almost done and I couldn't be happier. The car beats a lot of cars much, much faster than the S and I love it.

As far as racing, there are plenty of places to go wheel to wheel with the car. You can go HC or unlimited in the NASA series. SCCA has also made special provisions for us to run in the IT class.

After we showcase our car some more, we will probably have more places to race in than currently.

Anyway, good luck on your journey.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might find some food for thought in this thread.

You might also want to consider buying a less expensive car for track use -- Spec Miatas are popular and fun.

Steve
Old 12-29-2003, 02:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by PedalFaster
You might find some food for thought in this thread.

You might also want to consider buying a less expensive car for track use -- Spec Miatas are popular and fun.

Steve
Thanks for the link. It was some interesting reading. I've thought about a Spec Miata or Pro7 and they'd be good to have in addition to the S, but I can't see not tracking the S. It's so good at the track, plus Speedventures has so many S'es at their events.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:15 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

You can find "salvage" or "no title" (like mine) cars for $10k sometimes..... not sure if you have any desire to have it "streetable", and I don't know how much your current car is worth......

I decided to trade my 2001 S2000 in for $23,500 then bought a $10k beater........ I will only end up with about $18k in my car with rollcage, suspension, seat, hardtop ($2k), wheels / tires, exhaust, intake, etc...... assuming nothing breaks in my engine or transmission (so far so good, but have not been on the track yet).

Click my link to see my car.... i will be in NASA H1. I am unaware of anything related to SCCA. I am not even a member.

I am getting an enclosed trailer to go with it though.....and I had to buy a big truck..... but at least I saved on the car

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Strike
So I'm at a crossroads with the go fast crack pipe.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:40 PM

Yes do it... resistance is futile...
Old 12-30-2003, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Puff puff pass

<crack pipe satan>
dooooooooooooooooooooooo it
</crack pipe satan>
Old 12-31-2003, 12:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scot
You can find "salvage" or "no title" (like mine) cars for $10k sometimes..... not sure if you have any desire to have it "streetable", and I don't know how much your current car is worth......

I decided to trade my 2001 S2000 in for $23,500 then bought a $10k beater........ I will only end up with about $18k in my car with rollcage, suspension, seat, hardtop ($2k), wheels / tires, exhaust, intake, etc...... assuming nothing breaks in my engine or transmission (so far so good, but have not been on the track yet).

Click my link to see my car.... i will be in NASA H1.
Old 12-31-2003, 05:38 AM
pfb

Not as far towards the crossroads as you, but having simlar thoughts.

This past week I did three open track days. They split these into a race group (experienced, pass at will) and non-race group (point to pass, on the straights).

What an absolute ing hoot running in the race group, and working to get by other cars.

I realized that having equally prepared *competition* in true wheel to wheel racing is what is fun; a fast car (race prepped S2000, for instance) but not a lot of competition to run against doesn't seem like it would be nearly as much fun.

Spec Miata is a huge class, with lots of competition. Even if you aren't a front runner, lots of back-markers to mix it up with and compete against. I hope for the day when an S2000 can run in a class with simlar equal competition, but that day doesn't seem to be today... And at race-ready ~$10K pricing, seems like a great way to race on a budget.

If your budget and need for speed is bigger, seems like a T1 Z06 is another class/car with lots of competiton, easy to mantain racecars on a semi-reasonable budget.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Psst, come to the dark side

You'll love every minute of the car. Seriously tho we basicly have 4 s2k, yours would make 5 that can w2w race at SV events. The true S2000 Challenge.

Beyond that there is SCCA ITE that by looking at current times the s2k should be able to clean up there. There is also Honda Challenge w/ NASA.

As the car becomes more affordable like Scots salvage then we're only going to see even more of them.

Quick Reply: Making my car an S2000 race car