S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

LR wheel bearing... AGAIN! :mad:

Old 04-29-2005, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR wheel bearing... AGAIN! :mad:

My LR wheel bearing is making noise again . This is the same one that the geeks at Lancaster Honda replaced a couple of months ago (while destroying the threads on my ABS kit ). A few months prior to that it was replaced by my local Honda dealer.

The RR was replace around a year ago and is fine. I think they replace the whole hub (?) on that side. I noticed the bill was around a hundred bucks more. I remember Dave posting something about making sure they don't just replace the bearing, but both the bearing and hub (?) or something like that (I'm mechanically challenged and can't remember all the details )

I'm taking the car in on Monday. What do I tell them to replace?
Old 04-29-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace bearing AND hub. Maybe they also didn't torque the spindle nut enough so there was play and premature wear? I also have this theory that driving in heavy rain/water increases the chance of water getting in somehow and rusting the bearings. Both times mine went was each within a few hundred miles of driving in heavy rain coming home from the track. Since I revently drove through torrential rain and standing water coming back from Sears, I wouldn't be surprised if mine goes again very soon.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say it was the track--and not the weather--that did the hub / bearing in Richard! The seals are pretty tight.

Ya gotta replace 'em both when you replace them, though. It's not that difficult to do--especially when you consider the difficulty of finding someone who can do the job correctly.

I posted a thread on hub/bearing replacement with pics in Under the Hood when I did mine.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I will tell them to replace both. I'm sure that's why the RR one has lasted whereas the LR has not.

Should I get the rear re-aligned after they replace the hub?

Watching the bozo at Lancaster Honda work on my rear suspension makes me wonder ... as he is working on the car he decides to loosen the bolt on the chassis holding the rear control rod.. then says... "oops I didn't know it was an eccentric... guess you'll have to get it re-aligned..."