S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Loss of power in long high-g turns

Old 07-04-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to think of anything I could have done to cause this..............

When installing the left rear coilover, I removed the small nuts which help hold the fuel line to the fender (visible when you open fuel hatch) as well as a fuel line-to-chassis bracket up inside the trunk. This was to allow some movement of the fuel line where the coilover comes through the trunk - to help with the coilover install. Procedure was not per the manual, but got it on S2KI. All fasteners replaced as they were before removal, but I did move that semi-flexible bellows section of the line around a good bit.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kleecker
Had another track day today. The problem is fuel related, and quite a pathetic one.

Topped-off 10 miles from the track. By end of first 30 min track session, started getting a bit of bogging ON LEFT HAND TURNS ONLY. Looked at RPM I was keeping when bogging started - usually 5k-5.5k. Took the next lap in the next higher gear, just to see if RPM related at all - rpms down to 4.5K on some of the problematic left handers.................. bogging still there.

Bogging gets more frequent through 2nd and 3rd sessions (still all left handers). By the end of the 3rd session, gauge SAID I have 1/2 tank. So, I tanked up for 4th session - no issue whatsoever. I was running just as hard as previously, and not a single issue.

So, basically, I get a single stinkin session, from full tank, before I start dealing with this problem.

I don't have a clue what to do here - it's not something I can work on then test out on the street - never happens on the street. Someone mentioned fuel filters, but should that be an issue with only 40K miles on the car?

Just have to run high fuel ... unless you modify the fuel intake inside the tank. There are no fuel filters - only a screen in the tank at the pickup (yeah, I found it hard to believe but that is what it is). Also found the fuel starvation hard to believe ... but like I said ... hard, long left handers will do it and I have driven a number of them AP1 and AP2 and they all had the same problem......at least when I was driving. If you drive slower, resulting in less consistent G-forces (e.g. you are not smooth ... or just slower), then you may not experience this phenomena.

R
Old 02-07-2012, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very common on track cars. Easy to fix. Run a surge tank that will keep fuel going to the fuel rail at all times. Here is one from Full Blown, but you can make your own for far less.

http://fullblownmotorsports.com/perf...own-surge-tank
Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

So if oil pressure becomes low enough in those high G sweepers, you'll drop off the VTEC. That could explain your power flattening out.

Fuel starvation: power cuts out
Oil starvation: power decreases

Great info guys
Old 02-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jaundice
Very common on track cars. Easy to fix. Run a surge tank that will keep fuel going to the fuel rail at all times. Here is one from Full Blown, but you can make your own for far less.

http://fullblownmotorsports.com/perf...own-surge-tank

I have the Full Blown one and love it. Highly recommend.