S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Losing N2 Pressure in Coilover

Old 12-10-2003, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Losing N2 Pressure in Coilover

I seem to have a slow Nitrogen leak from the remote reservoir of one of my JRZ's. I usually charge them to around 240 psi, but one is consistently lower than the others upon checking pressures after a couple track events. I am thinking it is a faulty Schrader valve. Any advice? Do I have to replace the Schrader valve, and would I need to get OEM or would other valves work, or is it a matter of tightening the valve? I expect I'll have to order a replacement from JRZ, but thought I would check if others have any experience with an alternative solution before doing so.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd buy a new schrader valve and seals from JRZ, knowing what they are I can't imagine it would cost much for a schrader valve and the seals, as the scrader valves that are used aren't anything particularly special. If it's still bleeding off pressure, it could be the sign of the seal in the canister between the nitrogen compartment and the oil starting to go.

How much is is bleeding down? If after 2 weeks it's still over 150 PSI, it may not even be worth dealing with.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Richard is the your right rear from sears or a different one?
Old 12-11-2003, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by krazik
Richard is the your right rear from sears or a different one?
Rylan, it's not the one that was damaged at Sears and rebuilt (which is now on the left rear) but the other.

kfoote, it loses about 20 psi in two weeks, including a track day, so still over 200 psi. I might still relace the valve just so I don't have to recharge as often, and hope that this solves the problem and that it's not a seal in the canister. Thanks.
BTW, do you know how balanced (left to right shock canisters) the pressures need to be to not adversely affect performance? Within how many psi or percentage of each other?
Old 12-11-2003, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Richard 20lbs of N2 is only going to equal a few lbs of spring rate. Which you won't notice.

I'm not sure what the psi to in/lbs is for the jrzs, but 20lbs of pressure shouldn't be a significant change in spring rate.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazik
Richard 20lbs of N2 is only going to equal a few lbs of spring rate.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by krazik
Richard 20lbs of N2 is only going to equal a few lbs of spring rate.