S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Looking for the next track mod

Old 07-25-2011, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are the issues you are having with the car? That should be your answer. Throwing parts at the car hoping it makes you faster isn't really the best way to go about things.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by aCab
what are the issues you are having with the car? That should be your answer. Throwing parts at the car hoping it makes you faster isn't really the best way to go about things.
a bit flighty rear end at higher speeds and around long corners.....w.r.t. the long turns, quite easy to throttle steer - great exercise in learning to control oversteer, but speed can be a snoozer.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by chuhsi
how serious are you about tracking and how much do you want to spend?

going non-staggered isn't cheap. generally, you need to get new wheels and tires. then fender mods. then the big front sway bar. then the big rear wing. then a new alignment.

and if you go with the seat+harness route, you need seat, harness, and roll bar.
I was looking at taking the poor man's approach to non-staggered. I have an extra set of OEM AP2 wheels, can machine out the centers of these extra rears, and use them as fronts. When time for tire change, can dismount tires, machine out existing rears - then there will be a total of 4 rear wheels, any of which can be used on the front or rear. No fender mods, correct?

I'll hi-jack my own thread, and ask about sway bars. Seems there's basically one name here............ but several different models (wall thickness / solid). Is there a particular model which is being used as the 'standard'? Is there some consensus on what setting to start at?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by bronxbomber252
For non-staggered, it is not that expensive if you go with a 17x9 +63 wheel... all that is needed fender mod wise (assuming you get the camber joint and run 2.5ish+ deg of camber) is to bend up the tabs for the fender liner in front... none needed in the rear.
'get the camber joint?'
Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

This is my web page on progressing a bone stock S2000 slowly to a race car, including my suggested order of mods:
http://robrobinette.com/S2000TrackEvolv.htm
Old 07-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by robrob
This is my web page on progressing a bone stock S2000 slowly to a race car, including my suggested order of mods:
http://robrobinette....0TrackEvolv.htm

nothing in there about staggered vs. non-staggered???
Old 07-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

nothing in there about staggered vs. non-staggered???

Fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kleecker
Originally Posted by aCab' timestamp='1311651645' post='20815017
a bit flighty rear end at higher speeds and around long corners.....w.r.t. the long turns, quite easy to throttle steer - great exercise in learning to control oversteer, but speed can be a snoozer.
Based on this, a wing may be next, but keep in mind that at zero, or even negative angle, it may simply make so much downforce that you'll be understeering, leading to a splitter and/or non-staggered tires next.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by robrob
http://robrobinette....0TrackEvolv.htm
Seems like the change to race compound tires and staggering go hand-in-hand.
The only popular R Comp tires I could find which fit the OEM wheels are the NT01's. However, if non staggered, you have access to pretty much all the popular R Comp makes/models. So, to run R Comps, you really need to be running non-staggered.

Has anyone run r-comps with the stagerred setup? If so, what make/model tire???

Another area of conflict is the use of R Comps to drive to/from the track (60-120 miles). Many on this forum say it's a no-no due to heat cycling; what type of heat do the tires see when just highway cruising at 70mph??? I have seen and talked with guys who drove their R Comps over 50 miles to the track. Not saying they're right, but this first-hand observation flies in the face of what this forum consensus is.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:10 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

It's not like the R-comps will have no grip from getting heat cycled like that but given their cost most people want to maximize the usable life they get from them. I'm sure heat cycled R-comps still grip better than any street tire would.

Quick Reply: Looking for the next track mod