S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

long term update on Speed Engineering Directionally Vaned Brake Rotors

Old 02-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default long term update on Speed Engineering Directionally Vaned Brake Rotors

Back in May we published our findings of data logging factory and Speed Engineering directionally vaned brake rotors. The testing was done in a controlled environment at the 21 turn Inde Motorsport Ranch in Wilcox, AZ. Testing was performed using an onboard infrared sensor and controller data logged against vehicle speed using the AEM EMS to verify braking speeds matched between testing of the factory and Speed rotors. Brake pads used were Carbotech XP10/XP8 and the fluid used was Motul RBF600.

more about the testing can be found at the original post here:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/867...-brake-rotors/

The testing showed the directionally vaned rotors, which are more efficient in cooling due to the pumping effect of air through the rotor were able to shed heat faster and trend cooler than the straight vaned factory rotors - running an average of nearly 60 deg F cooler and nearly 100 deg F cooler over a 22 turn lap. The question then became - what is the long term effect of the use?

long term update
Previously, our NASA TT-B prepped S2000 had rotor failure (a complete crack running through the rotor) within 5 days of track use using a new set of factory rotors. A "day" typically includes four 20 minute timed sessions. The factory rotors were used with the same type of Carbotech brake pads that we use today. These pads generate high friction and high heat to go along with it. In addition, the brake pads typically were good for 10 days using factory rotors. Since May's testing, we promised to report on long term durability testing. Using a new set of Speed Engineering rotors and Carbotech XP10/XP8 brake pads - we have since logged 13 days of track use. These 13 days included the same tracks driven in the 5 days with the factory rotor - so the testing is quite comparable.

After 13 track days, the rotors are still in fine condition with signs of only microscopic fractures. We estimate that they will be good for another 2-4 days. In addition to the increased rotor life, we have also seen about a 20-30% increase in pad life. Also, the brake fade we would typically experience with the factory rotors has now not been experienced since the installation of the rotors.

We've been very happy with the results, and hope you enjoy the data provided. With the cost of the Speed Engineering rotors being only slightly more than generic aftermarket brake discs, and less expensive than factory rotors and aftermarket slotted rotors - the Speed Engineering rotors seem like an obvious choice regardless of the use being for street or track use. In addition to the rotors, we can't help but be absolutely thrilled with the brake pad selection. We have managed over the past 10 years with the S2000 to try more than a dozen brake pad compounds. The Carbotech line of pads, especially the XP10/8 combination has proven to be the best performing and most rotor friendly combination we have ever tried. The brakes are now one aspect of the car that we have absolutely no complaints about.

more info on Speed Engineering directional brake rotors:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc.../brake_rotors/

more info on Carbotech brake pads:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...000/Carbotech/

Should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to drop us a line.

cheers,
-- Chris
General Manager
ScienceofSpeed, LLC
Old 02-23-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Awesome work Chris.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the update. I really appreciate all the testing you guys have done on these rotors.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

even pad llife improved - impressive.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have these rotors. I have done 12 20 minute sessions on them and they held up great at the track. Granted, I am a newb, so my input may be different than the experienced guys, but I experienced no brake fade during my sessions. I am using Hawk HP+ front and rear and Super Blue fluid, along with Challenge lines.

Oh wait, that's not my brakes!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for your feedback!

-- Chris
Old 02-24-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkster009

Oh wait, that's not my brakes!

I was like sick mod bro !

God I wish there were carbon composite rotors for our cars lol. On a side note, this past summer i got the opportunity to hoon a 458 italia on the highway a little and the stopping was a little scary since there was next to no heat in the brakes haha. I was expecting to get my eyeballs sucked out of my head but there was very little initial bite. The brakes on these super cars have to be well heated to have any stopping power.

Back on topic, these SOS Brakes will probably be my next rotors if I don't go BBK.

Some shots I did for the owner of the car. You can see my S peeking out right behind his in GPW

Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran them for about 5 months w/ good results until I warped them after a 25-30 minute session at TWS. They had enough small fractures that the shop wouldn't turn them.

Great rotors, but I can't afford to replace them that frequently! I'm back to OEM rotors (until they crack, at least) , and just had brake ducts installed last night.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

^ We need more disinterested third-party reviews from guys that crack OEM rotors.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll gladly take a set to "test". I've been cracking rotors every two weekends (16 20 min sessions).

Quick Reply: long term update on Speed Engineering Directionally Vaned Brake Rotors