S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Lip or no Lip

Old 01-07-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Lip or no Lip

I made a post a while back in which we determined an OEM front lip makes basically no difference (kinda what I figured before making the thread). What was decided was that it might help protect the front bumper and is replacable and that it would look nice.

I am still debating putting it on or not. As it gets closer and I am looking at how I want to attach it, I am realizing it will be rather permanent in the sense that I will need to drill holes and use tape, which will damage my bumper. With that I am a bit worried that I will find it to be a PITA particularly with autox and later decide it is more of a hassle to keep it looking nice from blasting cones. The problem is, I will have modified my bumper such that removal won't be an option.

Any thoughts on if a lip is going to be more of a hassle than no lip. I like the look, but no lip looks nice too. I planned to paint it myself with a can of SSM that matches pretty well, but this won't be a professional job.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:43 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

I think you answered your own question.

It's more likely to be a PITA in the future, and it serves no truly useful function other than to make your car look nice.

No lip.

Save the money for consumables and event fees.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

hit less cones?
Old 01-08-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Splitting hairs here, but I run an OEM AP1 lip. Its for looks, I think the car looks better with it.

Also, it is easy to remove a re-spray as it gets beaten up.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought CR lip has been proven to add downforce and reduce drag?

http://robrobinette.com/S2000Aerodynamics.htm

Outside that lip, I don't think a lip could benefit.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:42 PM

I was actually thinking about this today and I still don't know what I want to do!! My biggest fear is that it will either look like crap from the start (i.e. crappy install/paint) or will go to crap from normal wear, then I will be stuck with an ongoing headache. But maybe I will like it??

It doesn't seem that he says it will do nothing, he just says the CR lip will do something. It does extend things a touch lower and change flow slightly, but I doubt it does much.

I wish I could decide!!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I was actually thinking about this today and I still don't know what I want to do!! My biggest fear is that it will either look like crap from the start (i.e. crappy install/paint) or will go to crap from normal wear, then I will be stuck with an ongoing headache. But maybe I will like it?? It doesn't seem that he says it will do nothing, he just says the CR lip will do something. It does extend things a touch lower and change flow slightly, but I doubt it does much. I wish I could decide!!
I can actually vouche that a difference was made. I was able to shave 1.5 seconds off my time with the lip vs without. My dive on turn in was noticeable.

I think it looks good in certain colors.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:11 PM

I think the greatest difference is the turn in. I think enough downforce is made to pull the front end. But like rob was saying, the "dive plains" might add to reducing the overall drag making it a little quicker. I dont know the specifics. I just have the times
Old 01-27-2015, 05:06 AM

I have the OEM lip though, do you think there is any difference with that?

I also think that to run STR, I couldn't just do the CR lip only, I would need to do everything CR. Plus I have an AP1, so the whole CR lip is out for me I think.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:35 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have re painted my oem lip several times. Matching silver stone is not easy. I see it as a wearable component. Even beat up it looks better than no lip in my opinion. It's easy to pull it off and re spray it. So in a way it is functional, it protects the bumper cover from wear an tear.

I suppose it could be aero functional if you attached a splitter to the bottom and lowered the car a lot. Within an inch of stock ride height I can't see how it would help.

Bottom line, do it, it looks better and that is worth it.

Quick Reply: Lip or no Lip