S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Let's talk camber / roll center adjusters

Old 10-21-2024 | 07:14 AM

Default Let's talk camber / roll center adjusters

Hey all,

Doing a bit of upgrade on the car and planning to go for a more track focused alignment. The car is stock aside from Ohlin's, set at stock ride height, running on Falken RT660 in stock size (I do get a tiny bit of interior front tire rub)

I've read a whole bunch of threads on options to increase front camber from offset bushings to camber joints and I'm not sure there's a consensus on the best path forward...some folks say offset bushings, others say camber joints, others say adjustable upper control arms...but the threads span multiple years.

Is there a consensus "best" path forward for achieving higher camber in the front?
Old 10-21-2024 | 07:21 AM
10 Year Member

IMO offset bushings. I used to run SPC balljoints. They did the job, but it does add another possible failure point. Offset bushings use the stock upper balljoints which seem to hold up well. If the offset bushing fails it is much less likely to create a catastrophic event than if some aftermarket balljoint fails.

Adjustable control arms are nice but I would only trust the really nice ones and those starting getting pretty expensive. Wisefab would be nice but damn are they costly.

I easily get -3.5 degrees up front, which is what works best for me, using Baero offset bushings and all stock hardware otherwise, so that is what I have stuck with.
Old 10-21-2024 | 09:11 AM
10 Year Member

agree with going with the offset Baero bushings.

SPC upper joint turns into a failure point for the upper arm.

Lower offset ball joint adds extra stress on the knuckle, which i've been seeing failures of more often as well.
Old 10-21-2024 | 09:14 AM
10 Year Member

Ive been using Orgin fab offset bushings for at least 5 years now and have had no problems. The benefit to a lower ball joint is it can also act as a RCA. But, I have read online that that will also cause more stress to the spindle. Not sure how accurate that is.
Old 10-21-2024 | 09:23 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Bullwings
agree with going with the offset Baero bushings.

SPC upper joint turns into a failure point for the upper arm.

Lower offset ball joint adds extra stress on the knuckle, which i've been seeing failures of more often as well.
Oddly enough, when I crashed on track, my SPCs survived just fine, bent 3 of 4 control arms on the right side, broke both knuckles and bent tie rods ... ball joints were fine! And the impacts were directly to the wheels (slid into a wall on the front corner, bounced off and then it it again with the rear corner of the car) . But I agree they do add another failure point and I have seen others post with failures running them. So I still switched to offset bushings when I fixed everything.
Old 10-21-2024 | 10:22 AM

Sounds like a pretty solid case to just go with offset bushings, especially if they can achieve the needed camber.

I'm running at stock ride height, and don't anticipate dropping it any lower just because it's already a frustration driving around Houston as it is, and this car is a weekend driver 1st, HPDE car second, though I do want to make it a "fun" HPDE car

I had been reading about RCA adjustability as a benefit to the lower ball joints, but sounds like not much of an issue if I don't plan on lowering the car...
Old Yesterday | 01:55 AM
10 Year Member

After 7 years running SPCs Im having to replace one for excessive play in the ball joint. Otherwise theyve been fine and the adjusters have never moved on me. Once you torque em they warp a little making later adjustment problematic. If I could do it over again Id do the bushings for peace of mind
Old Yesterday | 03:52 AM

Has anyone had any issues with the offset bushings squeaking? I replaced all the bushings in my TransAm a few years back with greaseable Moog units (all rubber, no polyurethane) and my car is a squeaking mess no matter how often I grease them....
Old Yesterday | 05:37 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by trpltongue
Has anyone had any issues with the offset bushings squeaking? I replaced all the bushings in my TransAm a few years back with greaseable Moog units (all rubber, no polyurethane) and my car is a squeaking mess no matter how often I grease them....
Zero squeaking. The baero ones I have are made of delrin with stainless sleeves in them.

Offset Front Upper Control Arm Bushings — Baero