S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Learning car control and tires

Old 11-10-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Learning car control and tires

Currently been tracking for a few years but I feel like I haven't been able to learn car control to handle higher speed car correction in the situation of. Oversteer mid turn

I've always run high performance tires like rs3 or z1

Would I be able to learn more quickly if I switched down to a high performance summer like a v12 or maybe sumitomo tire?

I figure the car will lose grip earlier aka a slower speed which will allow me to catch the car at a more moderate speed
Old 11-10-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't really make sense to me...what does the fact that you're going slower with less grip help?

If you're afraid of the consequences of high speed spinning and that's the issue, then go autocross for a while to learn car control better without worry of consequences.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree that it's kind of a bizarre question. The thought shouldn't be how to "catch" a car. The corrections are very small most of the time and recognizing that the previous input was off before the car gets out of sorts is the key.

Maybe do some PDXs and set the car up to be way oversteery at medium speeds to give you more practice in chassis feel?
Old 11-10-2013, 01:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't change tires. More seat time and get a camera so you can analyze why you started to slide. I've learned a lot from watching myself make mistakes and its rather eyeopening to see your inputs. I've always thought of myself as being smooth when I'm behind the wheel. However when I get home and look at the videos it looks like I'm trying to cut down a tree with all the sawing I am doing.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

An example for me is like when I autox I can handle and catch the slide where as when I'm going at a faster speed I have trouble catching the slide and becomes a spin

I figure if it's a worse tire it will allow me to step up the speed from autox and allow me to start to learn how to balance the car at a faster speed.

If I run rs3. The am grip would be higher

This isn't for lap times but more for car control at higher speeds
Old 11-10-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Things happen slower during high and mid corner in terms of tire slip angles. Its the slower corners that are harder to correct during oversteer. So I would say that if you can get the slow stuff under control than you'll be armed with the right tools under high and mid speed corner corrections.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Again, like people said... find out the root cause of why you're needing to catch something in the first place. Most big catches are time-sucking errors. Even if you "catch it," you've already lost the time.

Post vid of spins?
Old 11-10-2013, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boyguan
I figure if it's a worse tire it will allow me to step up the speed
In some cases, a worse tire is well just plain worse overall (i.e. less predictable). As others have mentioned, don't focus on the tires.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just look out the window where you want to go and you'll correct your oversteer naturally. With this car too, and other RWD cars you need to learn to keep your foot in it and really commit to a corner. I'm willing to bet your uneasiness with high speed sliding has nothing to do with sliding - but more to do with high speed. You just need more seat time IMHO
Old 11-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you catch slides on medium-speed corners? Higher speeds just require you to catch stuff before it gets very out-of-shape.

Do some wet track days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y82QJa2Xr6w
(skip to 2:34)

And ice lapping/racing if you have the option:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWj6Rb4EgXw

Excuse the bad music.

I'm of the belief that you need to cross the limit before you know where it is. If you can't save it, you'll slow your learning as you're scared to approach what you and the car can do. Play, have fun sliding, enjoy yourself.

Quick Reply: Learning car control and tires