S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

KW V3 Higher spring rates or roll bars?

Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

RCA lowers where the lower arm attatches to the hub. This changes the angle of the lower arm to raise the roll center. Since the shock mounts to the LCA right by there it lowers the shock thus lowering the car. The preload on the shock is not effected though so you don't gain any bump on the shock.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 PM
TWF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ndogg
RCA lowers where the lower arm attatches to the hub. This changes the angle of the lower arm to raise the roll center. Since the shock mounts to the LCA right by there it lowers the shock thus lowering the car. The preload on the shock is not effected though so you don't gain any bump on the shock.
How is that possible? You have not changed length of shock by putting RCA on. If shock length has not been changed arm is at same angle as before.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Rob, you are correct, RCA does nothing for shock travel and car will still bottom.
Nope, I was wrong before I was right
I knew this discussion would happen. Take a look at the pic below. The weight of the car is resting on the lower control arm through the shocks. When you install roll center adjusters (before you make any other adjustments) the only thing that changes is the hub is raised and the upper control arm angle changes.

If you put the wheels back on and lower the car to the ground the car will now be about 3/8 inch lower than it was before the install--and this is the important part--the shocks are in the same place meaning they haven't been lowered toward the bump stops. To get the car back to the original ride height you have to adjust the coil overs to raise the car--thus you're gaining bump stop clearance and the lower control arm angle is changed raising the roll center.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
Rob, you are correct, RCA does nothing for shock travel and car will still bottom.
Nope, I was wrong before I was right
I knew this discussion would happen. Take a look at the pic below. The weight of the car is resting on the lower control arm through the shocks. When you install roll center adjusters (before you make any other adjustments) the only thing that changes is the hub is raised and the upper control arm angle changes. This angle change is how the roll center is raised. Note the lower control arm and shocks don't move.

If you put the wheels back on and lower the car to the ground the car will now be about 3/8 inch lower than it was before the install--and this is the important part--the shocks are in the same place meaning they haven't been lowered toward the bump stops. To get the car back to the original ride height you have to adjust the coil overs to raise the car--thus you're gaining bump stop clearance.

Ahhh, ok. So when you do lengthen the shock to get the ride height back, the upper arm moves back into the same position it originally was, and the lower arm is now the one with the changed angle, correct?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 AM
TWF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ndogg
Ahhh, ok. So when you do lengthen the shock to get the ride height back, the upper arm moves back into the same position it originally was, and the lower arm is now the one with the changed angle, correct?
Correct, as long you extend shock as much RCA adds to it.
If I was to just put RCA on my car as suggested it would lower whole car even more.