S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

KW V3 Higher spring rates or roll bars?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KW V3 Higher spring rates or roll bars?

So I have been trying to decide what would suite me best...installing stiffer springs on my v3's or doing roll bars? My main reason is depending on the track i would like to have less body roll and for the car to settle quicker. I read that v3's are valved to handle approx. 200lbs more but not sure if that was in addition to the 515lb versions or 456lb versions? It seems like there are guys who either run stiff sway bars or stiff springs...never driven a vehicle with either. Im not worried about ride quality since this car has become a trailer queen lol just looking for pros and cons to each and what your guys experiences are! Thanks!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:38 PM

I prefer to have more bar and less spring.

My recommendation to you however is, to purchase the clubsport springs. 571 all around I believe, and then get a larger sway bar.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:50 PM

That was another option i was looking at...where do you get those anyway? What makes you prefer the roll bar over springs?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by zslow6
That was another option i was looking at...where do you get those anyway? What makes you prefer the roll bar over springs?
Its just preference. Im sure more people like to use more spring, however I only drive on street tires, so my way of seeing things is not necessarily the same for you.

You can purchase the kw springs through any kw retailer I believe.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

don't quote me on this, but I believe race teams prefer to use much more spring and as little bar as possible - using it for fine tuning.

More spring allows for you to keep the suspension "independent"

The more bar you add, the more you link the two sides of the car and the less independence you have.

Additionally, spring will affect both braking and acceleration, where as bar will only affect lateral loads.

I'm still on stock shocks/springs/bars, but as I mod, I'd probably do more spring first and follow the fine tuning part with more bar, but that's just my preference.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
don't quote me on this, but I believe race teams prefer to use much more spring and as little bar as possible - using it for fine tuning.

More spring allows for you to keep the suspension "independent"

The more bar you add, the more you link the two sides of the car and the less independence you have.

Additionally, spring will affect both braking and acceleration, where as bar will only affect lateral loads.

I'm still on stock shocks/springs/bars, but as I mod, I'd probably do more spring first and follow the fine tuning part with more bar, but that's just my preference.
yea thats the way i understood it but i dont know much lol
Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I prefer to dial the car in with spring rates, then make small anti rollbar adjustments to fine tune the balance. I don't like when sway bars over power the suspension, but thats just my personal preference. Note, I do not do any auto cross... Just 100% road courses. So preference may depend on type of course, type of tires used, driving technique, etc...
Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm running standard KWV3s with 628lb (110 Nmm) front and 571lb (100Nmm) rear springs and it works great and I recommend you go with stiffer springs first but you'll probably end up upgrading the front anti-roll bar anyway.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 AM

Yea I was thinking of doing 650 front 550 rear for the simple fact idk what the price difference is between kw springs and say swift springs. Rob what size tires are you running? Do you thing these rates would be to high for a 225/45 continental or a6/r6?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I usually run 255 x 4 Nitto NT01s and the springs should work fine with your 225 x 4 size tires.

Quick Reply: KW V3 Higher spring rates or roll bars?