S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Koni Adjustable Dampers anyone use them?

Old 05-28-2001, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Koni informed me that they make an adjustable damper for the S2k. model # 8041-1278L left front
8041-1278R right front
8041-1279 left and right rear
Anyone have these? How do they perform?
Thanks
Old 05-28-2001, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck-

I'm not positive but I beleive Jason Kenny uses them.

Any word on pricing? Are they dual or single adjustable? I'm waiting on a munufacturer to come out with a reasonably priced adjustable unit myself.
Old 05-28-2001, 07:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe that Jason has some custom double adjustable Koni
Old 05-28-2001, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cdelena-

What kind of pricing did you get on your set?

Would a set of single adjustables be better than the stock setup or should I wait for a more reasonably priced dual if that ever happens?
Old 05-28-2001, 07:57 PM

I am not an expert on shocks, but I ordered mine after talking to a lot of people. It is good to have both adjustments but rebound is where 80% of handling tuning is done. And I think that is what Koni single adjustables give you. If I had known they were going to be available this soon, I might have waited.

I wanted three things, 1) to retain a comfortable ride, 2) to be able to lower the car a little, 3) to be able to dial in more damping for the track. Finally decided to keep the stock springs, get the Koni
Old 05-29-2001, 07:06 AM

The 'ultimate' Konis are about $5k for the set, but the Penskes that we use are about $3200 for a set. About $1k more than Chris' solution, but not only are they double-adjustable (we've been using compression allot) they are remote-reservior meaning that they have more oil volume - dissipating heat better and allowing for more consistent damping.

Not to take anything away from the single-adjustable Konis... Chris did a great job getting those shocks done up. I used them last year on my autocross Corrado. I did notice that after consecutive runs they got slower as the oil overheated and sloshed (they are low-pressure gas, causing more cavitation). After the shocks sat over the lunch break, I was always fastest on my first run in the afternoon... took me a while to figure out it was the shocks!

Anyway, it's interesting to hear that Koni has part numbers for the S2K. It could be a good budget alternative. However, I feel it's all or nothing. The stock shocks seem to work fine (as evidenced by Joe Goeke driving Steve Suscy's car) as long as you have a big enough front swaybar. I would either run the stock shocks or go all the way and get DA Konis, Penskes or Motons.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:34 AM

If anyone gets more info on these shocks please post here.

I was going to use Motons but the tech committee down here told me that would be ilegal in my class (bunch of BS of keeping the class "affordable". Yeah... affordable racing, right!)

So I'm thinking of either a lower priced shock or staying stock until next year when we move to GT and the car can have any kind of shock.

What would you guys do? I think a little adjustability could improve the car but can't go with the high-end shocks.
Old 05-29-2001, 08:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason Saini
[B]Not to take anything away from the single-adjustable Konis... Chris did a great job getting those shocks done up.
Old 05-29-2001, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by cdelena
The units I bought (modified 8042s) are externally adjustable for both compression and rebound.
Oops... I knew that. And yes, I agree about shock fade and autocross. The only reason I was getting it with the Corrado is that the shocks were de-gassed. My shock builder at the time was convinced that you didn't need any nitrogen pressure for autocross (for the reasons you cited). However, I consistently found this 'lunch' phenomenon to be true. Even when I tested your theory and didn't eat at lunchtime!

Anyways, my point was that the remote canister is just a better solution. I think the Penskes are reasonably priced, but after using them for 1/3 of the season I'm not convinced that they are the greatest. I'm getting very curious as to how the Motons would work...

Pepe... that stinks about the rules. I would stick with the stock shocks until next season if you are building up the car more. They seem to work quite well for stock units, and you already are winning so save the cash!
Old 05-29-2001, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by Jason Saini
Originally posted by cdelena
The units I bought (modified 8042s) are externally adjustable for both compression and rebound.

Pepe... that stinks about the rules. I would stick with the stock shocks until next season if you are building up the car more. They seem to work quite well for stock units, and you already are winning so save the cash!

Yeah, that's what I had in mind but if a set of four Konis can be had for around $500 this summer I wouldn't mind gaining a little more performance as they increased my weight to 2,889-pounds from the SCCA 2,700. The last race I had 2,800.

Quick Reply: Koni Adjustable Dampers anyone use them?