S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

K-Swap project journey

Old 02-09-2024, 01:39 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow. 250 whp! That would be amazing if that is real.

I already couldn't keep up with you through the corners. Now you will disappear down the straights as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrewDay09:
DanielB (02-09-2024), stewpitt (02-09-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 10:13 PM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

May Update on my K-Swap journey:

My initial tune I had done with Steve at Divulge Motorsports turned out to be a massive disaster. After some extended time driving and having taken the car to the track, I noticed the car didn't seem 100% and was no where near the claimed 250whp. It's a long story, and I will note the details possibly later if I can be bothered to, but I ended up having to file for a chargeback that ended up being successful which I was quite surprised I had won in all honesty. I ended up going with Jeff Evans at Evans Tuning which I highly recommend (He also tuned a buddy's supercharged s2000 which I was doing the datalogging and revisions for). My final numbers for the car ended up being disappointing at 204 peak hp & 159 peak torque.

If I had been on a stock k24 motor I would have been perfectly happy. However, I had opted for some camshafts which were supposed to have netted me ~220 peak hp & ~170 peak torque. After speaking with a few friends and other k-swap folks, the conclusion was that the engine was limited on how much air it could flow. The cable-throttle s2000 OEM throttle body is only ~62mm and the K&N FIPK intake tubing is largely similar in diameter. At the time, I was also running a 63mm test pipe into a 70mm exhaust system. I looked into finding options on expanding the oem intake manifold, and even had a fabrication shop looking to do the work. Long story short (again) it didn't work out and in anger/desperation I purchased a brand new K Power Industries RWD intake manifold.The KPI intake manifold is a direct fit for K-series engines. This meant I ended up having to need to replace my fueling system with RDX injectors, new fuel rail, new fuel pressure regulator, and other various fuel fittings to be compatible. I also upgraded to a 74mm throttle body and fabricated a matching sized intake. On the exhaust side, I opted for a 70mm test pipe and a 76mm catback exhaust.

After explaining to Jeff that I would be doing some upgrades, we worked on more revisions to account for the breather mods. As of writing this update, Jeff sent me a very polished revision and he felt confident that I would be good to hit the dyno and get my required dyno certification runs.

Final results, and the configuration I will be running for the rest of the year, are 218 peak WHP & 169 FT/LBS of torque. This is much more in line with the expected power bump from the cams!

This update wont be nearly as polished as the initial post but I had just enough motivation to recall and write down my thoughts of the last few months. All in all, it was a fun journey building the car. I do miss the 9k redline of the old f20. But for the purposes of the car, the k24 just cannot be beat in terms of usable power & cost effectiveness.

Last edited by stewpitt; 05-04-2024 at 10:19 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by stewpitt:
.Boston. (05-10-2024), BrewDay09 (05-05-2024), DanielB (05-14-2024), Ian300D (05-15-2024), Shift9303 (05-05-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 08:44 AM
kos

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Which camshafts did you end up going with?
The following users liked this post:
stewpitt (05-15-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 10:38 AM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kos
Which camshafts did you end up going with?
I went with Drag Cartel's Drop-in cams. No other valvetrain work needed for these and claim a solid bump in torque and hp
Old 05-15-2024, 09:44 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for documenting all this. I'm planning to go a similar route with ASM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jiepo:
osms.io (07-08-2024), stewpitt (05-15-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 06:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey @jiepo I went the ASM route, current working on spotting a small oil leak. If you have any questions HMU. Working on getting my butt into HC eventually currently in HPDE2. I continue to run VIR Full to get more comfortable with the build, summit will be on the books for next year I think if not by year end.
Old 07-08-2024, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by osms.io
Hey @jiepo I went the ASM route, current working on spotting a small oil leak. If you have any questions HMU. Working on getting my butt into HC eventually currently in HPDE2. I continue to run VIR Full to get more comfortable with the build, summit will be on the books for next year I think if not by year end.
Thank you!
Im actually expected to receive my GLTC spec motor with a Link ECU and PnP harness from ASM later this week. Nice to see there's so many others doing similar swaps.
Old 07-08-2024, 09:31 AM

Hey @jiepo feel free to DM me with your location. I kinda networked with other s2k folks to really gather my research on who I wanted to perform the swap. Part of me wanted to tackle it myself, and well it really boiled down to time vs. money. I have an AEM Infin 506, Andy has moved on with LinkECU, I know it was an option for me to swing either Haltech or AEM, link wasn't available yet. Andy is a wizard when it comes to these cars period, but I do think there are several areas where I would focus. My (very small) loss is your gain here. I have NO clue what your plans are for your S, but there does seem to be more Kswaps and/or new-er s2k track builds. My local fabricator told me such. If you wanted a pointer to a good fab again just let me know.
  • Make sure you ask about getting a breather on your valve cover out to a catch can, when I received mine it was quite literally "breathing" (more like coughing) onto the FW, without a filter or anything like that.
    • I ended up removing the OEM pressed part and putting in a swivel radium unit which works just fine. I can provide you the part number if you wanted
  • Killswitch (good band but srsly may want to consider his wiring expertise)?
  • I had swapped in AP2 drivetrain including trans, diff and to the hubs. (Not a fault of ASM nor Andy but.....) I would have them shake it down a bit either on video as proof or something akin to that.
  • Check valve cover for leaks, I have one (again not faulting ASM nor Andy here) but I will be refreshing the VC gasket with some optional HB in specific areas of note (any pointers from the audience would be great here links welcome)
  • Check the drainplug on your moroso pan, the copper washer provided wasn't the right spec and leaks a drop here and there, check it before taking delivery.
  • Make note of the additional oil you will need to feed the car
    • I added an oil cooler to mine cause I invest a good amount of coin in refreshing the block prior to "sending it" to Andy. @robrob gets the nod here great writeup and frankly I owe him a beer or five (coffee if else)
  • I would ask Andy where he plans on mounting the ECU, mine is where the OEM location is, a bit tight, but I kinda wish I had it mounted someplace else for easy access.
I am slowly working on generating more content for my youtube chan, my goal is eventually to get to Honda Challenge with NASA.
Old 07-08-2024, 02:16 PM

Thanks for all the pointers, I just checked out some of your videos!
I'm in Canada and planning to do all the work myself. I've already begun disassembling my car.

I believe I'm the first to get the Link setup.
I've got a vent-to-atmosphere catch can ready for both the PCV and breather ports. Unfortunately looking at the pictures I got, I think I got the valve cover without the removable press fitting. The radium press-fitting would've cleaned it up a bit.

Old 07-09-2024, 01:26 PM

Ahh hailing from the North. I should ask for some good ol Tim Horton's coffee, good stuff. I used to work for a Canadian Telecom company back in the day. You are performing the swap yourself?

I am doing just about everything, I really needed ASM's expertise on swapping in the trans, motor, drivelines, hubs etc. You'll have to share some of the goodies o the link setup, is there a mobile app to view things, license fees etc?

Quick Reply: K-Swap project journey