S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Intermediate Driving Techniques For Track Days

Old 10-20-2017, 07:34 AM
IB Staff

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Intermediate Driving Techniques For Track Days

Intermediate Driving Techniques For Track Days
By Christopher Hurst

After covering some of the basics in previous articles about how to approach a new track or pick the right place to push the limit we’re going to dive into more driving technique. These are some intermediate driving tips you should be aware of when you hit the race track.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the corner leading to the longest straight isn't always the most important corner. The most important corner is the one that costs you the most time and/or speed if you mess it up.

For example at one of my local tracks, The Ridge, the corner leading to the longest straight is a tight slow speed corner, second gear in most cars. If you mess up there it'll only cost you 2-3 mph at the end of the straight since you're accelerating from such a low speed. If you mess up 7a 7b, a little bit awkward downhill right hander that leads to a pretty fast section eventually ending at a hairpin can cost you 10+ mph.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:14 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk
the corner leading to the longest straight isn't always the most important corner. The most important corner is the one that costs you the most time and/or speed if you mess it up.

For example at one of my local tracks, The Ridge, the corner leading to the longest straight is a tight slow speed corner, second gear in most cars. If you mess up there it'll only cost you 2-3 mph at the end of the straight since you're accelerating from such a low speed. If you mess up 7a 7b, a little bit awkward downhill right hander that leads to a pretty fast section eventually ending at a hairpin can cost you 10+ mph.
If you are flat out even through corners then it is still really just a straightaway, so I guess it could be clarified to the corner before the longest full throttle area of the track.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
If you are flat out even through corners then it is still really just a straightaway, so I guess it could be clarified to the corner before the longest full throttle area of the track.
the main straight is still longer. the thing that makes the corner leading on the main straight not so important is that its a really low speed and simple corner. so even if you do mess up, you don't mess up much. and since you're accelerating from such a low speed in second gear, you make up that speed you lost really quick. I've never had more than a 2-3 mph difference at the end of the straight

the other corner is a bit faster and its a bit awkward and the elevation change is challenging to learn. I've had up to a 10 mph difference from when I mess up to when I get it down pretty well. I've also ran down cars with 200+ hp on me at that corner as well, that would never happen out of the corner leading on to the main straight.