S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Installing 5-point racing harness

Old 02-06-2007, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Installing 5-point racing harness

I've been looking in vain online for instructions on how to properly install a racing harness in an S2000. I find plenty of information on the Miata (where to avoid the fuel line, where to mount the bolts, etc), but I can't seem to find any info on the S2000.

If you know of a guide online for how to mount a racing harness properly on an S2000, could you please share? I don't have a rollbar (and wouldn't want to install one to get this working).

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:23 AM

you cant properly install a 5 pt. without a rollbar.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3312DC,Feb 6 2007, 03:23 AM
you cant properly install a 5 pt. without a rollbar.

DO NOT MOUNT A HARNESS IN A CAR WITHOUT A ROLLBAR.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is not safe.
a harness is designed for use with a roll bar w/harness bar or a full cage only.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assuming you did have a roll bar/cage with a proper harness bar:

You can't mount a 5-pt anyway. There is a box beam running right under the center of each seat. You can mount 6-pts by installing the bolts on either side of the beam, but a 5-pt would go right where the beam is.

For the 6-pts, you have to watch out that you don't mess up the fuel lines on the driver's side.

You can use the factory 3-pt outside lap belt anchor location, but you need to install a new one on the side of the tunnel for the inside.

Use your harness bar for the shoulder mount point.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:46 PM

^^I have a 5pt... ill have to see how they installed it. The guys who did my rollbar put them in.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:22 PM

Thanks for all the guidance so far, folks. Gives me a lot to think about (e.g. fuel lines, tunnel drilling, etc).

What about all these folks selling harnesses with just a bolt, nut, and backing plate (which looks to be about 2x2") for installation? I realize you wouldn't want to mount a harness to thin sheet metal, but what if you reinforced both sides with thicker plates?

Or alternatively, what if you just welded in a harness bar without the roll bar?

I'm essentially trying to see if there's any way that I can get a 5-pt installed without having the roll bar pop overhead.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you understand that a rollbar "popping" overhead is part and parcel of the safety system needed to make a harness work properly? It's a rehtorical question of course, since it's obvious that you don't. Strapping yourself into a seat so that you're immobilized means that you NEED the additional rollover protection afforded by a (at least) a rollbar that extends higher than the stock hoops.

Of course if this is for fashion purposes that's different but it doesn't belong in this forum in that case.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveCar,Feb 12 2007, 01:22 PM
What about all these folks selling harnesses with just a bolt, nut, and backing plate (which looks to be about 2x2") for installation?

Or alternatively, what if you just welded in a harness bar without the roll bar?

I'm essentially trying to see if there's any way that I can get a 5-pt installed without having the roll bar pop overhead.
Those backing plates are for the lap and sub straps. There is no good mounting point for shoulder straps that can use a backing plate like that. The only thing back there is a bolted-in beam that is not designed to take those loads that way. Those backing plates are really designed to take loads in shear, rather than in tension.

And what would happen if you welded in a harness bar without a roll bar is that in a roll, your seat and harness would hold you nicely in place -- above the roll hoops. But you didn't really need that head, did you?

The answer to your question is, "Not safely."
Old 02-12-2007, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveCar,Feb 6 2007, 01:01 AM
I don't have a rollbar (and wouldn't want to install one to get this working).
read the quote then this

I am going to make this very plain and simple.

if you roll over with out at least a roll bar and have a racing harness in the car you WILL DIE.

so a bottom line is get over it and find somewhere else to install bling.

If you were doing this for holding you tighter in the seat there is that CGlock thingy that they sell to make it so your stock belt does not retract while you are driving.

thanks for coming have a nice day!

Quick Reply: Installing 5-point racing harness