S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Impact of rebound versus compression damping.

Old 10-14-2003, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gregg Lee
Surface quality also is a factor.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

yes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rlaifatt
Old 10-15-2003, 11:20 AM
jzr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the bleeding-edge stuff is quad adjustable (high and low speed on both compression and rebound) - but these are in shocks with usually less than 1" of working travel. And what about those 1lb. through-shocks using technology derived from motorcycle steering dampers?

More interesting is some of the high-end off-road/rally shock stuff. Had much of the design philosophy of these shocks explained to me by a Bilstein engineer. Don't remember all of it, but I do remember him saying they have variable compression and rebound damping at different parts of the shock's travel. IIRC, as the shock extended past a certain point, rebound would fall way off, to allow the tire to "droop" quickly to try and maintain contact with the ground when getting light over a jump/crest. Compression damping over this extended droop range would be very high, in an attempt to keep things from bottoming upon landing. When in the "normal" travel range, compression would get softer and rebound stiffer to keep the truck/car handling right over regular dirt/gravel/etc.

So in addition to compression, rebound, gas pressure, etc., how much and where in the travel the rates would change was entirely adjustable. Oiieee vay, and I thought tuning for asphalt was hard!
Old 10-15-2003, 03:47 PM

Speaking of leading (bleeding) edge, what about variable viscosity fluid inside the shock?

This fluid changes viscosity based on electrical current.

Pretty interesting stuff and something we should see in our cars soon.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jzr said,

And not to pick on you, but I've seen you start a thread for just about every sort of damper and spring there is out there.
Yes, I admit to using this board to do my research but ,this thread is proving to be somewhat useless, since except for Orthonormal's too brief comments, I have not seen any intelligent answers to the two simple questions as to what is the effect on the S2K's handling of adjusting 1) rebound and 2) compression.

I'm of the conservative breed that studies and tries to understand the objectives and proposed solutions before diving into the pool and, I thought this was a good place to learn from others that have gotten coilovers, gotten boxes and boxes of springs, twisted knobs, tweaked, spent time driving and practicing, ect., and have done the footwork and are willing and knowledgeable enough to express themselves clearly and to share it with others who have the same passion.

I have now developped some ideas which I shall soon be putting into practice and sharing the results, good or bad, with whoever may be interested.

Pierre
Old 10-19-2003, 01:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pierre'S2k
jzr said,

Old 10-19-2003, 10:13 PM
jzr

The S2000 behaves the same in response to changes in high or low speed rebound or compression damping as any other car would. A shock is a shock, and when changed will affect handling dynamic in a similar manner, regardless of the car it's on. Ohlins and Penske both have great shock tuning manuals at their website. Neil Roberts also did a series of articles on shock tuning that became somewhat popular.

Orthonormal's comments (not picking on you either man ) while not incorrect, are generalizations that will help you little, if any, when you've got a mis-handling car and a dozen new knobs to turn.

My last bit on this subject will hopefully be somewhat more constuctive than I feel I've been to this point. And that is, contact ProParts, King Motorsports, or Guy Ankeny for their advice. They've all built winning S2000s and with the right information (wheels and tires used, vehicle weight, power level, intended vehicle usage) can likely recommend a suspension package that will get you where you want to be.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2003, 06:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, you do not seem to be listening. These may be simple questions, but they do not have simple answers. The answer is still "it depends" (on everything else you do).

There is no royal road to suspension tuning.

And to say you have not seen intellengent answers franklly insults all those who have tried to help you.

My next two keystrokes are "submit" and then "Ignore"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pierre'S2k

I have not seen any intelligent answers to the