S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

I'm Planning To Track... How Much Is a Helmet?

Old 12-19-2002, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm Planning To Track... How Much Is a Helmet?

I've decided to track next year and wanted to know what type of helmet do I need to get and how much would that helmet cost? Any other safety gear required? Thanks
Old 12-19-2002, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Choose the best helmet that you can possibly afford!
It's the single most impotant thing you can do. Call Frank at 877.omp.wins and they have some very nice helmets at a very reasonable price. Tell them you have an S2000 and you may get a discount.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cost is highly variable depending on the type of helmet that you purchase. In general, more money gives you better performance, but I have been very satisfied with my relatively inexpensive helmet that cost about $220 that I purchased 3 years ago, a Bell Mag-4 (Snell SA 1995 rated).

Most driver's education (DE) events on tracks require a Snell-rated helmet. Helmets with DOT ratings are not tested nearly as rigorously as Snell-rated helmets, and I do not recommend them even when allowed. Snell helmets come in two categories, M and SA. M is the motorcycle designation and is nearly always acceptable on the track, but that depends on the organization. SA-labelled helmets are specified for automobile motorsports use, but they are usually more expensive than the M-labelled helmets. There is some controversy over design differences. Some people claim there are structural differences in shell construction, others state that the only difference is the liner material; nylon for M helmets and nomex (fire-resistant) for SA helmets.

Also, helmets are date coded. The most current rating is 2000. Since helmets deteriorate with time, these marking allow you to determine when it has reached the end of its useful life. Most DE organizers still accept 1995 helmets (or even 1990).

The next decision is open vs. closed face design. I chose open face for its greater comfort down here in S. Florida, but some people think they are unsafe since it leaves part of your lower face and chin exposed.

Lighter helmets are generally more comfortable, but add cost. You will probably be driving for no more than 30 minutes at a time, so you don't have to worry about weight as much as an endurance race driver pulling a lot of lateral Gs.

Above all else, make sure it fits!
Old 12-20-2002, 05:09 AM

I purchased a G-force Helmet from Racer Wholesale (www.racerwholesale.com). Its Snell SA00 rated, so you'll never have any problems at any event. Its a full face helmet that comes in either Black or White (I have the black), comes with a clear shield, and breath deflector. They have every accessory in the world for it like colored shields, etc. Even came with a little fabric helmet bag.

All for $239, or about the price of a motorcycle helmet.

I know Schatten @ www.importdevelopment.net sells some Bieffe helmets at a resonable price as well.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the referral Keith. wantone - if you know your noggin size, let me know - perhaps a ball cap size if not a helmet size. We can work out sizes if you'd like a Bieffe helmet. They aren't the cheapest out there, but they are very lightweight. So if you are doing long sessions - 20-25 minutes at a time on the track, it will be beneficial to you - less weight = less fatigue on your neck, especially if you aren't used to it.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys and thanks Schatten. I'll go get my head measured but since I'm leaving for Europe, I'll have to get back to you next year. Is Snell an international standard or just US?
Old 12-20-2002, 01:26 PM

I just got a Bieffe. It's comfortable and it fits me giant noggin. It also smells better than my old helmet.

I recommend getting an SA2000 helmet. All SA2000 helmets are safe. Spending more money doesn't really mean more safe if you're only buying a helmet. If you pay more you're paying for features - like lighter weight, aero / anti-lift stuff, tinted shield, neck brace etc.

An M2000 helmet is pretty much as good as the SA2000 and most clubs recognize this by allowing them. The difference? The M standard doesn't require a roll bar test (they smack it with a roll bar diameter pipe) and it doesn't require a fireproof liner.

Just make sure that you get a really good fit. If its your first helmet - and it sounds like it is - make sure that someone is helping you with the fit. It should be snug - but not a brain squeezer.

Most important part:Nothing against online merchants - but I really think that you should try on a few different brands and sizes to find the best fit for you. You can measure your head's size - but you can't measure the shape. A helmet that is too loose isn't safe. A helmet that's too tight just plain sucks. The extra few bucks you'll spend buying locally is worth it to get a helmet that really fits.

-r
Old 12-20-2002, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rzrsedg - definately not taken as critisism at all. I prefer that my customers have a proper fitting and I really dont like using local shops just to fit helmets. brand to brand - helmets will vary slightly, so I offer a fitment exchange as well to make sure it fits your head correctly. But I do agree - talking with someone that knows how to fit your head is a good thing to do.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:01 PM

hi guys :

which is better? Pro Force 'AERO' or GF950 Full-size or f1gpv?
Old 12-21-2002, 07:17 PM

Its subjective. I have the G-Force full face and paid $239 for it. One of the only helmets in black which is what I wanted. Realistically I dont think you need the aero unless your moving to open-cockpit cars.

Quick Reply: I'm Planning To Track... How Much Is a Helmet?