S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: If you could only do one?
Roll-bar
63.64%
Seats
36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

If you could only pick one

Old 10-22-2017, 08:03 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

I should have been able to tell from your avatar pic.

Ohio is a good region. You have access to Mid-Ohio, a track I got to drive for 2 days. Always have wanted to go back. The only drawback is the 8.5 to 10 hour drive each way.

Going , the BMWCCA has a great driver development program. It’s too bad our car can’t run with them unless caged.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

FWIW I would park the money in an investment until it was enough to do a complete safety system (rollbar/Harness/seat/wheel/HANS)

The OEM safety system if intact works very well. The lap belt is low, and the diagonal seatbelt lets you fold over it in a collision to keep you from submarining. It also expects there to be an airbag to catch you during the fold over event. This has all been tested by both engineers and an unfortunate number of people. Ive seen a OEM safety S2K with soft-top up lose it at buttonwillow in the esses as speed, and get put on its roof. The driver was shaken but otherwise fine. It flat out it works.

A full race system works extremely well with harness, fixed mount seat, rollbar, hans and wheel (airbag delete, its a liability with the rest of the stuff). It will contain you better at high speed and absolutely will make you a more confident and faster driver and will unquestionably provide a higher level of safety than OEM with the obvious loss of comfort and convenience.

Anything in between will be less safe than either complete system.

A rollbar with OEM seats and no harness to keep you "down" introduces the possibility of serious concussion if you lift out of the seat during an "event" on the street.

Aftermarket seats with no harness change the angle of restraint on your belt and not allow you to fold over it as intended.

A wheel with a 3pt belt is basically offering to buy your dentist a new boat after any accident.

Etc etc etc

I would suggest you view safety systems holistically and make your decision that way.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

You can toss a pad on a roll-bar. Plus I would still Street drive it sometimes, so I would at times have a "comprised" setup. The whole rollover thing concerns me the most at this point.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
FWIW I would park the money in an investment until it was enough to do a complete safety system (rollbar/Harness/seat/wheel/HANS)

The OEM safety system if intact works very well. The lap belt is low, and the diagonal seatbelt lets you fold over it in a collision to keep you from submarining. It also expects there to be an airbag to catch you during the fold over event. This has all been tested by both engineers and an unfortunate number of people. Ive seen a OEM safety S2K with soft-top up lose it at buttonwillow in the esses as speed, and get put on its roof. The driver was shaken but otherwise fine. It flat out it works.

A full race system works extremely well with harness, fixed mount seat, rollbar, hans and wheel (airbag delete, its a liability with the rest of the stuff). It will contain you better at high speed and absolutely will make you a more confident and faster driver and will unquestionably provide a higher level of safety than OEM with the obvious loss of comfort and convenience.

A rollbar with OEM seats and no harness to keep you "down" introduces the possibility of serious concussion if you lift out of the seat during an "event" on the street.

Aftermarket seats with no harness change the angle of restraint on your belt and not allow you to fold over it as intended.

A wheel with a 3pt belt is basically offering to buy your dentist a new boat after any accident.

Etc etc etc

I would suggest you view safety systems holistically and make your decision that way.
It can be a hard pill to swallow but it really is an "all or nothing" situation.

Well said Uncle Poodle.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
It can be a hard pill to swallow but it really is an "all or nothing" situation.

Well said Uncle Poodle.
So you wear a helmet and Hans on the street? I refuse to except that this car can't be used for HPDEs and still be street driven.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:41 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

If you plan to street drive it, leave all the safety equipment stock.
I no longer drive my car on the street and I trailer to the track.

Hardtop, hybrid HANS, CG Lock, and stock rollover protection. Do it that way?

In post #13 of this thread you have it all figured out. Just go ahead with your plan and do your thing.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra.../#post24371832

I told myself I wasn't gonna reply to this thread.

Last edited by freq; 10-23-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:42 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Here was my progression:

Seats first, Corbeau Forza Sport with Corbeau bracket/rails (drivers side first, passenger side two weeks later)
  • Retained use of OEM seat belts, used seat belt extender routed through seat opening to keep the same position as OEM
  • Kept Airbags installed, used work around for passenger side airbag weight sensors(only necessary on 06+)
Roll bar installed (~3 months later)
  • Rockstar Garage X-Bar with replacement bulkhead bar to keep OEM seat belts
  • Installed 5 point harnesses in conjunction with roll bar, kept OEM seat belts
  • Bought and use NecksGen Rev Head/Neck restraint, only use on track with 5 point harnesses
Momo Monte Carlo 350mm steering wheel (~1 month after install of the roll bar)
  • Disabled passenger side airbag by removing weight sensors
On the street to/from track I drive with the OEM 3 point seat belts, on the track use the 5pt harnesses, if I have a passenger/instructor on the track give them the choice to use OEM or 5pt harnesses (depending on if they have HANS/HNR).