S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

HPDE with NASA

Old 05-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline,May 15 2008, 01:03 PM
My limited experience with NASA Midwest has been mixed so far. They have a lot of paperwork and bureaucracy. But once actually on the track and in the group you are supposed to be in, it's a great time. After my initial experiences, I'm going to give their regional Time Trial series a chance and see how I like it.
Your first event with them ,and having to show them you are capable to be in the higher groups im sure was a big part of the paperwork etc.

Ive been driving with NASA about 3 years or so now. in the midwest, its run GREAT IMO. groups 1,2 have alot of classroom between runs and learn alot that they need to be learning for safe driving and progress.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NASA can be more "strict" then other organizations, but HPDE is just part of the menu for the day - they have to make sure everyone gets the time they paid for. Which is ok w/ me. I've been to track days which can be best described as "the wild west" and didn't care for it much.

I'm really enjoying NASA N.Cal fwiw. HPDE3 is a two-day "education" event now. Nowhere remotely close to what a race school is like obviously, but its always good to get some more instruction. And they usually go to open track pretty quickly so no problems with conga lines
Old 05-15-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just joined NASA this year and I feel they do a great job. For me, HPDE 1 is for learning the basics of car control and behavier. Being safe, alert, aware and open minded are next on the list. They will teach you as you progress becasue there is a methode to the learning curve. Leave your ego at the gate as you enter.

I STRONGLY sugest you go to the nearest NASA HPDE 1 event as soon as you can!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only gripe I have is the amount of seat time per weekend. Their prices are lower, but so is the track time.

Another thing that can sometimes happen is the events getting off schedule - because they have so many groups and race groups as well (which are more prone to car-car contact), delays due to track cleanup are more likely. On the flip-side, they do hot tows (which most groups don't), so they are trying to keep track time to a maximum.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vjarnot,May 15 2008, 05:55 PM
Only gripe I have is the amount of seat time per weekend. Their prices are lower, but so is the track time.

Another thing that can sometimes happen is the events getting off schedule - because they have so many groups and race groups as well (which are more prone to car-car contact), delays due to track cleanup are more likely. On the flip-side, they do hot tows (which most groups don't), so they are trying to keep track time to a maximum.
. I've had short sessions before, but general they try very hard to stay on schedule. There was an event at Buttonwillow a couple of years ago where one of the racers unfortunately died and forced track closure for like an hour, so we ended up losing one of our sessions. Not much you can do about that.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:13 PM

The only time I ran a HPDE with NASA was like driving in rush hour traffic. They had way too many cars on the track.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by silversprint,May 16 2008, 12:13 AM
The only time I ran a HPDE with NASA was like driving in rush hour traffic. They had way too many cars on the track.
We will see if this happens at Putnam this weekend, they now have two HPDE groups for one and two. I assume it is due to low # of instructors.

I will be in HPDE only because I want the option to not have an instructor if I choose.