S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

HPDE with NASA

Old 05-15-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up HPDE with NASA

How is it going with NASA? I heard some horror stories about the type of people you get to race with, mostly crazy kids who are very aggressive on the track, I usually run with very small conservative clubs, I want to try NASA, they are cheaper and tour more tracks, can somebody share their experience negative or positive about NASA HPDE?
Old 05-15-2008, 09:55 AM

From my experience they tend to be the most anal, overly-uptight group out there. The organizers and officials are generally clueless on all subjects, and like to create pointless counter-productive rules in their spare time; to the point where the track day becomes more of a parade-lap session.

I have more fun, and get more quality track time & advice, with Redline and Speedventures.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:54 AM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

If you run convervatively, then it might be a good option to go to new tracks. They are very strict and are hesitant to have people push their cars to the limit -which going to Redline or SV would be a better option.

But you get a lot of feedback, education is slow-paced (espeically in HPDE2 and HPDE1 -you might as well drive on the streets as its faster than on the track) but informative.

HPDE3 is a little more fun and HPDE4 is more of the time-trial class.

It depends on what you're looking for, but they are VERY strict with spins, offs, passing, etc... BUT their aren't a bunch of 'young crazy kids' at the NASA events.

Hit one up and see what you think.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:57 AM

I can't speak for other regions - as with fraternities they differ greatly at different locations - but here in Mid Atlantic especially and SouthEast too, it is by far the best track days going. Sure one gets more time with Chin but there are the types you alluded to there (as well as some outstanding drivers and racers too). That stated NASA will let you run as fast as you want and can safely achieve. Of course if you exhibit talent, we will move you as quickly as possible to a run group closer to your skill level but I have never pulled in the reigns on a skilled driver nor have I seen such occurr.

Here, NASA has developed into one of the premiere organizations and literally gets bleed off from PCA, PBOC, SCCA, BMWCCA and other clubs when no events are in town. In fact, many state that they prefer NASA to their "home" clubs. The instructors there really are the only organization using credentialed staff with real certifications and training from top to bottom - in fact, as best I know there are no trained/certified staff that haven't either been trained by NASA or a NASA led clinic (here it is Dan Unkefor). Feel free to email me if you wish: dermotorsports@gmail.com
Old 05-15-2008, 11:02 AM

^agreed. Ive been to 3 different regions in the past two months. They are fundamentally the same with some pretty significant differences from region to region.

As far as "credentialed staff" -not sure what was implied??
Old 05-15-2008, 11:10 AM

At least out here if you haven't gone through at least 1 2 day intensive instructing school you don't instruct, many have done 2 or 3 levels as they have advanced - me, for example.

Just as clarification, I am not intimating race schools such as Skippy, Russell whatever aren't certified - those are Race School, I am talking HPDE in this instance.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:12 AM

True, but like everywhere you go, you have people who can help you and people who shouldn't be considered 'instructors'.

Going to the different regions that I have, I have not seen many instructors with the credentials of those you can occasionally find at BMWCCA or PCA events...

Old 05-15-2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Billj747,May 15 2008, 02:12 PM
True, but like everywhere you go, you have people who can help you and people who shouldn't be considered 'instructors'.

Going to the different regions that I have, I have not seen many instructors with the credentials of those you can occasionally find at BMWCCA or PCA events...

Agreed about some of BMWCCA but for every one Seth Thomas there are 3 guys who shouldn't be teaching at least around here. PCA in GA is outstanding top to bottom but I have encountered people I trust intimating neighbouring regions are not nearly up to GA PCA standards. That's the whole point of my previous post; sure you can get some great instruction and from non trained people too (albeit infinitely skilled, experienced and concsious drivers) but it is VERY hit and miss. Much like the military here we have a cadre of instructors of at least a minimum level of coaching skill - and most beyond as nearly all the instructors I know of in these 2 regions are racers (maybe amateurs but racers none the less).
Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by DER MotorSports,May 15 2008, 02:57 PM
but here in Mid Atlantic especially and SouthEast too, it is by far the best track days going.
except their BS no convertible w/o a aftermarket rollbar requirement.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Billj747,May 15 2008, 11:54 AM]If you run convervatively, then it might be a good option to go to new tracks.

Quick Reply: HPDE with NASA