S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

How loose should a helmet support be?

Old 10-15-2004, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How loose should a helmet support be?

Just ordered a helmet support (GForce) and I'm not sure that I got the right size. According to the sizing chart I did, but I can easily spin this thing when it is on my neck.

I don't want it to feel like collar either, but can anyone tell me how loose or tight their helmet supports are?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is mine is rather snug, and I got mine from HMS Motorsports because they were the only one I could find that had the additional support on the back of the collar. Not only does this help even more to prevent the head from snapping back, but it does not allow the collar to rotate.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:04 AM

A good test would be to put your helmet on without the strap and shake your head left and right quickly. It shouldn't move around a lot or be able to turn completely sideways blocking your view. If you can spin the helmet around your head with some force it's probably too big. Another test is to strap your helmet on and try and rip it off. If you can get the helmet off without unstrapping it, it's probably too big.

I have a Bieffe Predator and it fits pretty snug.. I can feel the frontal cushions pressing against my cheeks but there's still a little room for comfort.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by p0pe,Oct 15 2004, 10:04 AM
A good test would be to put your helmet on without the strap and shake your head left and right quickly. It shouldn't move around a lot or be able to turn completely sideways blocking your view. If you can spin the helmet around your head with some force it's probably too big. Another test is to strap your helmet on and try and rip it off. If you can get the helmet off without unstrapping it, it's probably too big.

I have a Bieffe Predator and it fits pretty snug.. I can feel the frontal cushions pressing against my cheeks but there's still a little room for comfort.
Thanks but I am not referring to the helmet, but rather the helmet support which is a foam piece you wear around your neck.

Triple-H knows what I'm talking about. It's a $20-$60 piece of Nomex and foam which helps nullify the weight penalty of the helmet under extreme load transfer.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:57 AM

Old 10-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Ya think this guy's helmet support did him any good?

Those neck pillows are fine for supporting the weight of the helmet during enduros or other long events but if you think that's it's going to help prevent the kind of injuries incurred as a result of your head snapping forward during an impact I think you're fooling yourselves.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:25 AM

Maybe if you stack 2 together it might work
Old 10-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Seriously, I understand the need to support some of the weight of the helmet during long stints and for that the donuts are fine.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:45 AM

Great photo.

I realize this is not a HANS device. I'm just looking for something to aleviate some of the stress of multi-day HPDE's. Do you think this is an appropraite application or are there alternatives I should consider?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Donuts are fine for mitigating fatigue but there is no safety benefit. I'd research a head and neck restraint system long before waxing the benefits of a $40 donut. An actual safety device may solve both problems and a donut might interfere with a system.

Quick Reply: How loose should a helmet support be?