S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

how long do your brake rotors last w/ race pads?

Old 07-18-2005, 11:35 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default how long do your brake rotors last w/ race pads?

I have been buying used stock rotors for about $70.00 delivered for all 4.... my fronts have been getting destroyed in less than 3 weekends on average....

just thought I would ask the other "racing" s2000 guys how long theirs last.

I am running Carbotech XP10 brake pads.

thanks.

DOH!!!!!

Old 07-18-2005, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot,Jul 18 2005, 02:35 PM
I am running Carbotech XP10 brake pads.
Try using Cobalt Spec VRs....I get more life out of my rotors and the car stops better with VRs than any Carbotech pad.

-Pete
Old 07-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scot,Jul 18 2005, 12:35 PM
my fronts have been getting destroyed in less than 3 weekends on average....
That's nuts. Rylan's racecar has been running the same G3000 rotors and Cobalt Spec-VR pads for over a year now. That includes multiple weekends lapping on slicks.

In a heavy street car with no ducting and r compounds, I easily got 20+ days out of a set of Spec-VRs.

Brake less
Old 07-18-2005, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He said he's been using "used rotors". I've been to 30 track days since I started doing this, and have replaced rotors three times. Once because of crash damage, once because of heavy vibration (I think due to heat check), and once due to vibration which I think may be from uneven pad deposition. However, this last one has not been confirmed yet.

This last set only lasted me about 5 track days, but they were - wait for it - previously used rotors.

Oh, and I've been using Carbotech pads.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:21 AM

IMHO used rotors don't sound like a good value. How much are new ones from a dealer or other source?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:42 AM

my rotor's started to get "eaten" more by the XP10's, but I have been able to completely outbrake everything that I race including all of the 2200lbs cars (i end around 2660 by race end).....

I really seem to be able to make up great ground in the braking dept.

I am not sure how used the rotors are that I am getting but none have been "scored" or anything....they are just typical 10k miles street used rotors.

I may try a set of 'NEW' rotors to see how long they last, but i am not sure they will last DOUBLE to cover the cost (which is more than double).

thanks for the input. being down 30hp and having an extra 450lbs to haul around I have to make up for it somewhere and braking seems to be a good spot.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:12 AM

BTW, what was the failure mode? It is somewhat silly to blame the pads or the rotors or the braking style until we know how the rotors are failing.

Heat check cracks? Thermal cycle issues.

Rotors being worn away? Probably rotors running too cool for the pads.

Large cracks? Probably massive overheating or inadequate cooldown, possibly failure to properly break in the rotors, maybe just overuse.

Pad deposition or "warped" problems? Probably related to using used rotors with who knows what history of pads and usage.

And if these are used rotors, why are they available for sale? Are they thin? Are they damaged? Have they been overheated and formed cementite? What's the story? When I said my last set was "used rotors", I was the one who had used them (on the street). I replaced them a long time ago but kept them as spares. When my last set developed too much heat check, I swapped them for these old spares. Got 5-6 more track days out of them, but that was sort of "free" because they were rescued from my scrap bin anyway.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:20 AM

lots of small "heat cracks" is what I assumed.... i run ducting, but under race conditions they must still get pretty hot.

after they get slightly larger heat cracks, I usually take them off... i have had 2 actually crack right on the car when i get back to pits as they are cooling off.

I assume people upgraded to "cross drilled" or "slotted" rotors (BLING) so these are extra.??
Old 07-19-2005, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Scot,Jul 19 2005, 12:20 PM
I assume people upgraded to "cross drilled" or "slotted" rotors (BLING) so these are extra.??
I have never tried cross-drilled, but when I ran Power Slots, I only got one weekend out of them before they cracked. I have had the best luck with OEM rotors.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:31 AM

Poseurs putting on bling rotors could be why people are taking them off, yeah.

Sounds like you are running very hot. Do you have ducts? Is this front rotors only?

The cracking when you get back in the pits definitely sounds like inadequate cooldown. If you can't cool down more gently, that's just going to keep happening no matter what you do.

If you start with new rotors and you carefully heatcycle them (as opposed to just slamming them on and racing), you will probably do better than you are doing now. But maybe not by double.

If the rotors are already starting out thin due to wear (have you measured them?) they will have less mass than a new set, and thus be more vulnerable to heat issues.

But all in all, you may have to choose between outbraking all your competitors and extended rotor life. Your call to make. Maybe the answer really is, "brake less".

Quick Reply: how long do your brake rotors last w/ race pads?