S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

How light have you gotten your s2k?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbndt

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Cool, I am also building a FP autocross s2k. I have yet to put my car on a set of scales yet, still doing a bunch of work.

Is that pre-preg carbon you are using? How did that work out, did you put it in a regular oven?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:13 PM

Pre preg carbon? I used CF wrap 3m. It worked out great, and yes just put it in my regular stove oven. I wrapped it in an hot wet towel, put on cookie sheet and 250º at 12 min. Then used hair dryer to keep warm.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 PM

Yes I am gonna get the S on the scales again here soon and see the cross weight again and make sure its still an good cross weight. Car has taken 2nd and third in raw every event here locally but having problems pushing and not getting enough heat in the 245 v710s up front. Ordered some 275 35 17 a6s to match the rear. Hoping to take top raw and pax next event. Also getting car closer to national tech for packwood. Hopefully I will have cams in it by then and down to low 2100lb range by then. Very excited
From last weekend

Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to see you're addicted! Try and make it out to Nationals, sometime! I think it'll blow your mind!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by CKit
Glad to see you're addicted! Try and make it out to Nationals, sometime! I think it'll blow your mind!
Will do.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pre preg carbon? I used CF wrap 3m. It worked out great, and yes just put it in my regular stove oven. I wrapped it in an hot wet towel, put on cookie sheet and 250º at 12 min. Then used hair dryer to keep warm.
Interesting. So, the wrap held its shape after being removed from the headlight lens? Got a link for where to get this stuff? I need to re-do my tail light covers.

Also, for national tech, at least for this year, you need to install some wire mesh over the vents in the hood, and measure them to make sure they don't go over the total allowed, which is 500 in^2. Great to see another s2k in prepared!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander
Originally Posted by blackbndt' timestamp='1366251183' post='22481513
Interesting. So, the wrap held its shape after being removed from the headlight lens? Got a link for where to get this stuff? I need to re-do my tail light covers.

Also, for national tech, at least for this year, you need to install some wire mesh over the vents in the hood, and measure them to make sure they don't go over the total allowed, which is 500 in^2. Great to see another s2k in prepared!

So, the wrap held its shape after being removed from the headlight lens?

??? Im not following.

I never removed the wrap...?
Just seperated the lens from the headlight body and then wrapped the lens... and you can get it cheap on ebay. Its just 1080 CF wrap 1080.

Thanks for the info on tech. Was planning on the mesh as it looks tacky wide open the way it is now.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander' timestamp='1366293307' post='22482354
[quote name='blackbndt' timestamp='1366251183' post='22481513']

So, the wrap held its shape after being removed from the headlight lens?

??? Im not following.

I never removed the wrap...?
Just seperated the lens from the headlight body and then wrapped the lens... and you can get it cheap on ebay. Its just 1080 CF wrap 1080.

Thanks for the info on tech. Was planning on the mesh as it looks tacky wide open the way it is now.

[/quote]

Oh ok I see now. I thought you actually made a carbon skin by using the headlight as a mold. Thats why I thought it was pre-preg carbon fiber because I saw a hair dryer.
I made some headlight skins out of carbon fiber a couple years ago but am wanting to redo them and am investigating better methods.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:06 PM

Ok, got ya.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:54 PM

I'm shooting for 2050 lbs now and closer to being prepped for FP. The windshield is coming off this weekend.
Something similar to this pic.

Quick Reply: How light have you gotten your s2k?