S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

How does APR GTC-300 Wing Rank up?

Old 12-05-2009, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FINAL GEAR,Dec 4 2009, 02:17 PM
like I said before, you just can't compare their stalling AOA vs your Max AOA. Both have total different chord, camber, area, AR, wing span designs, both defined AOA also different, your comparison above that shows CL/CD is absolutely worthless in this case.
note: When the boundary layer vortices have separated from the bottom surface of the wing, this will cause wing to stall, the downforce will start to decrease and increase of drag, CL/CD is an good indicator of AOA not to go over before vortices start separated. A higher camber trailing airfoil like you said your wing was based of, it should critical angle of around 13*-15* before separation, if you still getting more downforce/drag at 18*, better double check your CFD data again.
A normal size gurney flap (10-15mm) does not create high drag penalties, it allows wing to have more AOA beyond its nomal critical angle for more downforce with little drag penalties.
Is your CFD data test included the sideplates ? or just the airfoil only ? without having sideplate you can actually decreased Cd by 50% or more, that is a big different on drag comparsion.
Sir,
I did not compare their max angle to our max angle. I compared their max angle (15 degrees) to our MINIMUM angle (15 degrees). Will you tell a guy at the track what you just posted here? If he asks you "Hey Final Gear, should i get this wing... or this one for my car?" Will you tell him, "sorry kid, you can't compare wings on the market". That is just silly. Customers make a decision based on the results that they see at the track. I have seen Voltex wings rip completely off of the cars because the base mounts are made in a gel coat mold with chopped glass. (That i have on video). There are many important aspects of a wing, and i work to focus on all of those details.
Call dry carbon what you want. Prepreg carbon fiber is not only overkill for this market,
it is overpriced for this market. And we get along just fine with vacuum infusion. It is an acceptable and well regarded process.
Yes, you cannot use a single element from a twin wing. That is why it was modified for our single element setup. But we are also using the twin setup next season.