S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

How can I take advantage of a new diff?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I take advantage of a new diff?

OS Giken diff is in, and just driving around the block I can tell it's going to change everything about the way we drive the car. As luck would have it, we have a test and tune day on Saturday.

Obviously it's easiest to modify the way we drive first. I'm reasonably experienced but tend to overdrive.

What do I need to know? And try?

From a couple of parking lot tests it does seem as if we've introduced a lot of push. Current setup: Saner bar on middle setting, no rear bar, 24.5 ride height (a tenth or so higher in back). -2.8 up front, zero toe, -2.6 rear, 3/32 total toe.

What should I change first, if we're unable to drive around any issues? Thanks for any tips!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OS Giken doesn't need to be broken in?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd suggest at least installing the rear bar but leave one end link disconnected. Then you can easily hook it up at the track if you need to. The only reason I don't run a rear bar is because of inside wheel spin with the stock diff. With your new diff, it shouldn't matter if you lift a wheel, it will still apply power to the outside wheel.
Depending on how your new diff is set up, it could cause entry and exit understeer so increasing the rear roll rate should help.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:28 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

In theory you should be able to run a softer front sway bar for less push, especially if you were running it very stiff to fight inside rear wheel lift. A lot of S2000 drivers are running without a rear sway bar to keep from lifting the rear wheel. With a clutch type differential you should be able to run a rear sway bar and softer front and not worry about wheel lift. I say "in theory" because I haven't installed my OS Giken LSD yet, it's still at s2kpuddydad's.

OS Giken doesn't need to be broken in?
From the OS Giken website:
Each component of every OS Giken SUPER LOCK LSD uses only the highest grade materials and manufacturing processes and is constructed and finished to extremely tight tolerances, eliminating any “break-in” period necessary with other brands.
I know we have at least a couple of racers that run clutch type LSDs here, you guys have any comments on how the car changed with the addition?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How did the test go? How is your OS set-up?
I heard Annie has an OS as well and you mentioned her car felt really good. I'd like to hear your opinions.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 PM

Haven't driven Annie's car with the diff, only without. Mine was a hoot. It's a different car. The diff was installed as shipped.

I got 18 runs in during our practice. A sweeper I would have feathered my way around before was instead pretty much constant throttle; a high-speed offset that would have unweighted a tire at just the wrong moment was completely stable; a tight little turnaround was an easy downshift to first and enough throttle to spin the car around without spinning the car entirely. ANd I can slalom again.

Of course I did manage to spin the car. When it goes, it goes. But it's pretty predictable, and the confidence it inspires gives me a lot of hope that I can get faster.

We don't run a rear bar, and the car pushed pretty severely on entry. We'll throw a bar on -- if anyome knows of a cheap/easy source of Miata front bars, holler -- and I added rebound in the interim, which seemed to help a little.

Also I wonder about launches. Without a small turn of the wheel to induce some spin, the car bogged.

I'll let Annie weigh in on her experience, but she certainly hasn't ever looked faster in the car.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I pick up a set of coilovers and you get a new diff???

I'm curious to see how you like it in the long term. So far it sounds like it works pretty well on the car.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by yellowdog
Haven't driven Annie's car with the diff, only without. Mine was a hoot. It's a different car. The diff was installed as shipped.

I got 18 runs in during our practice. A sweeper I would have feathered my way around before was instead pretty much constant throttle; a high-speed offset that would have unweighted a tire at just the wrong moment was completely stable; a tight little turnaround was an easy downshift to first and enough throttle to spin the car around without spinning the car entirely. ANd I can slalom again.

Of course I did manage to spin the car. When it goes, it goes. But it's pretty predictable, and the confidence it inspires gives me a lot of hope that I can get faster.

We don't run a rear bar, and the car pushed pretty severely on entry. We'll throw a bar on -- if anyome knows of a cheap/easy source of Miata front bars, holler -- and I added rebound in the interim, which seemed to help a little.

Also I wonder about launches. Without a small turn of the wheel to induce some spin, the car bogged.

I'll let Annie weigh in on her experience, but she certainly hasn't ever looked faster in the car.
This really makes me feel like I need one... I just need deeper pockets.

I think we've pretty much tuned the rear, without a upgraded diff, as much as possible at this point. I guess we'll be able to tell at Lincoln.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by ViperASR
So I pick up a set of coilovers and you get a new diff???
Yes. THis ends with nuclear war!

Originally Posted by ///MIKE
This really makes me feel like I need one... I just need deeper pockets.

I think we've pretty much tuned the rear, without a upgraded diff, as much as possible at this point. I guess we'll be able to tell at Lincoln.
I think the diff has outsized benefits for us -- no tune to smooth out the crossover. But I think it doesn't really make the car faster. Just makes it easier.

You *are* coming to Packwood, right?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

But I think it doesn't really make the car faster. Just makes it easier.
If it's easier then push the car harder until it's hard again, that's where the speed comes from