S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Hooiser R7s vs S100 compound

Old 11-29-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperASR
I don't understand this. I've driven the S2000 on RS3s, Z2s, v12s, RE71Rs, etc all in the rain and none of them felt any more sketchy than the others.
Perhaps you are just so accustom to driving "sketchy" in the rain that "sketchy" is normal to you. But 4 autoxes and 1000 street miles on the RE71's on the FRS in that tropical storm thing we had over the summer coming back from Ft Myers was a white knuckle ride to say the least. I was hydroplaning at less then 10 mph.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Our rain here is nothing like the MidWest or Florida Id imagine lol When it rains here its not very heavy rain,

But one interesting thing is 275s being slower out of corner due to areo wall. My top speeds where down too with 275s vs 255 too...never thought why till now.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
Perhaps you are just so accustom to driving "sketchy" in the rain that "sketchy" is normal to you. But 4 autoxes and 1000 street miles on the RE71's on the FRS in that tropical storm thing we had over the summer coming back from Ft Myers was a white knuckle ride to say the least. I was hydroplaning at less then 10 mph.
Too fast..beat me to the punch. Midwest rain was no joke... its like the movies or someone is pouring buckets of water on your window lol cant see shit!
Old 11-29-2016, 05:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Tire pressures for the Hoosier road race slicks are much different than the Hoosier DOT race tires. The slicks only need about 28 to 30 psi hot. The DOT tires run much higher pressures. If you are trying the road race slicks, be sure to set your pressures accordingly.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:01 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

In addition the Hoosier radial slicks are much more sensitive to camber than the r7's.

I've not got the complete back to back test on s100's and r80's (which is irrelevant now) but I did do back to back on smaller size on my other car. S100 were about .3 sec faster at mid Ohio and lasted much better.

I do have some pressure data but it's on the trailer door.

Im also doing some testing on the hankook slick which I ran at grattan and at road America but didn't get good data either day due to rain.

Light rain even slicka are fine if you can keep the temp in them.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by ajohnson
In addition the Hoosier radial slicks are much more sensitive to camber than the r7's.

I've not got the complete back to back test on s100's and r80's (which is irrelevant now) but I did do back to back on smaller size on my other car. S100 were about .3 sec faster at mid Ohio and lasted much better.

I do have some pressure data but it's on the trailer door.

Im also doing some testing on the hankook slick which I ran at grattan and at road America but didn't get good data either day due to rain.

Light rain even slicka are fine if you can keep the temp in them.
Isn't Mid Ohio a bit of an odd track for tires though. I know the Spec Miata guys all tell me that old dry rotted hoosiers are faster there then sticker tires due to the odd surface.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
Isn't Mid Ohio a bit of an odd track for tires though. I know the Spec Miata guys all tell me that old dry rotted hoosiers are faster there then sticker tires due to the odd surface.
Mid Ohio is a fairly normal surface (though beginning to need a repave in parts). Until it rains.

For years they have used a "sealer" on the wear/worn areas, which happens to be in the corners. The sealer literally becomes ice in the rain. Hands down worst place I've ever seen in the rain. At AER practice day there in October, people were taking front wheel drive cars with all season tires to do recon laps, and spinning out at 10 mph. We sat in the trailer and watched Major League on Netflix. Not sure if the movie, or watching the spins was funnier.

I had the opportunity to drive a very highly developed Cayman (copy of a Rolex 24 HR winning car) at mid Ohio on Pirelli slicks. They behaved exactly as everyone's comments regarding Hoosier slicks. 2-3 laps to get up to speed, higher ultimate grip, stiffer sidewall feel instead of a7/r7 lean, and virtually no wear indicated after a 30 minute session.

Fwiw, the P Car guys generally think the Pirelli and Michelin slicks are faster, with better wear than the Hoosier slicks.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
Mid Ohio is a fairly normal surface (though beginning to need a repave in parts). Until it rains.

For years they have used a "sealer" on the wear/worn areas, which happens to be in the corners. The sealer literally becomes ice in the rain. Hands down worst place I've ever seen in the rain. At AER practice day there in October, people were taking front wheel drive cars with all season tires to do recon laps, and spinning out at 10 mph. We sat in the trailer and watched Major League on Netflix. Not sure if the movie, or watching the spins was funnier.

I had the opportunity to drive a very highly developed Cayman (copy of a Rolex 24 HR winning car) at mid Ohio on Pirelli slicks. They behaved exactly as everyone's comments regarding Hoosier slicks. 2-3 laps to get up to speed, higher ultimate grip, stiffer sidewall feel instead of a7/r7 lean, and virtually no wear indicated after a 30 minute session.

Fwiw, the P Car guys generally think the Pirelli and Michelin slicks are faster, with better wear than the Hoosier slicks.
I hear the Michelin Blues are the bee's knees on slicks. I just found it odd that I got the hoosier slicks up to temp very quickly. As in 1st flyer was the fast lap. I'd like to try a set of michelin blues.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:12 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Yea, I'd say it's possible to get them up to temp sooner. Though I was told it would be at least the 2nd lap before they'd heat up. I had 2 things going against me getting temps into them.

1. Car had endurance pads on them. And by that I don't mean PFC08's, lol. I mean pads that I was instructed to ride with my left foot, the whole way around the first lap. Then thinking I had then warmed up, almost drove the car straight off the end of the keyhole due to lack of bite

2. Somebody else's 100k+ racecar. Considering I'd never been in the car, no #1 above, I was a little cautious.

Clearly never driven the Michelins, but that car with Pirellis was way more capable than me. And yet it was somehow more neutral in the areas where I could push it, vs my car on R7's