S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

High Performance Driver Education Safety Poll

Old 09-08-2004, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 HPDE days
1 OTE no damage

Still learning, although I'm very comfortable at my home track now. I sense this could lead to increased risk, as I want to go faster. How do you know where the limits are until you find them? I learned some things from my OTE - slight trail-brake into a 90 degree right on the warmup lap, the car kept turning when I transitioned to power. Stupid mistake. Biggest danger I see is somebody else hitting you, or not seeing a faster car come up behind you. The example of the instructor taking the inside is scary, but that could be anybody not paying attention.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma,Sep 8 2004, 08:30 PM
Biggest danger I see is somebody else hitting you, or not seeing a faster car come up behind you.
Best to keep your eyes and your mind on what's in front of you, not what's behind you. Yes, be aware of your mirrors, but it is the responsibility of overtaking traffic to safely overtake. A good driver will cooperate, though.

I've never seen two cars hit each other at an HPDE, though I've seen and been involved in some close calls. I think it is quite rare for cars to hit each other -- you would do better to worry about your own car and the track ahead of you that to worry about someone hitting you from behind.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:35 PM

S2000 on Road Racing Hoosiers and Carbotech Brake Pads:

10 DAYS spent at HPDE events (not racing, not auto-x)
0 off-track-excursions with no damage
0 off-track-excursions with minor damage (up to $1500)
0 off-track-excursions with moderate damage (up to $10,000)
0 off-track-excursions with severe damage (more than $10,000)

Kind Regards, Chris
Old 09-09-2004, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by teamking,Sep 8 2004, 08:39 AM
Although, during the first Medium session of the first day (before my Slow group had even gotten our cars turned on), an INSTRUCTOR rolled an M3 (had a roll cage, no injuries). Then, in the second Medium run, a guy spun out his Ferrari, damaging the suspension and hitting the tirewall with the entire passenger side. He could probably pick up a new S2K for the same price as getting the Ferrari repaired! There were four more incidents where people spun into tire walls, doing cosmetic damage to bumpers and quarterpanels during the two day event.
I heard about all the carnage this week... what the heck was going on up there? I've never seen or heard of that much damage at one DE event.

I know the guy that punched in his right/front quarter panel on a yellow ITR. He said it was on cold tires. Let that be a lesson to all... cold tires can easily catch you out. I've spun on cold tires before - just didn't hit anything.

I laugh when I see people going deep into braking zones on the 2nd lap out... only a matter of time before they go off because their tires are cold. Usually first lap is more or less a pace lap. Teamking, put that in the back of your mind and remember it at the start of every session.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by ellisnc,Sep 9 2004, 05:51 AM
I know the guy that punched in his right/front quarter panel on a yellow ITR. He said it was on cold tires.
That was Kyle, right?

I spent more time in the car with him than any of the other instructors. He also did one session driving my S2K. Tell him I said hello. I really learned a lot from him.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:22 PM

7 track days
3 off-track experiences
0 damage

Laguna Seca - turn 2 (Andretti hairpin) - apexed too early, then lifted when the back end started to come loose near the end of the turn (beginner's mistake).

Laguna Seca - turn 11 - (different day) - running with the A-group for the first time, got befuddled when a fast car passed me and took my line. Waited too long to brake, never had a chance to make it (inexperience again).

Thunderhill - turn 1 - entered too fast, trail braking, didn't get back on the gas soon enough. The back end came loose and passed me near the end of the turn.

The S2K is so solid when accelerating out of turns. Most of my trouble occurs when I lift in a turn. Hard to fight that urge to brake. (You're going too fast into a corner -- give it more gas!!)

I have a friend with a new 350Z who lost it on turn 6 at Laguna (his first track day). Tried to save it, ended up hitting the tire wall on the inside of the corner. Couple thou damage.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:03 AM

6 track days (4 at VIR) with Superformance Cobra group. One spin into the infield mud coming out of Oak Tree on a rainy day, no damage, only mud. My fault, but also rainy day with 500HP and a 2400lb car. It's hard to be careful enough in that car!!

I want to do some autocross with my S.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:21 AM

Total is now:

399 DAYS spent at HPDE events (not racing, not auto-x)
31 off-track-excursions with no damage
2 off-track-excursions with minor damage (up to $1500)
0 off-track-excursions with moderate damage (up to $10,000)
3 off-track-excursions with severe damage (more than $10,000)
Old 09-10-2004, 06:25 AM

1 HPDE, 1 off-road with no damage (Prelude, street tires - not the original, too hot into - and out of - a turn) at Texas Motorsport Ranch. Thought I'd bent an axle or something with the way the car was shuddering on the way home. A good wash-off of the dirt inside the wheels cured that, though

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache9Som...ll+course&hl=en

Owww! I think I'll stick with AX - safer on the car and a lot less expensive than doing road courses.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by rjosey8385,Sep 10 2004, 08:25 AM

Owww! I think I'll stick with AX - safer on the car and a lot less expensive than doing road courses.
Well that depends on how you see it. in the houston region, you pay $20-$25 for autox. You usually get 4 runs. Each run usually lasts from 45 seconds to 1.5 minute. So you may get 6 minutes of on track time for $20. So that's $200 for 1 hour of track time.

When you run road courses, you are usually paying $250 for 3+ hours of track time atleast around here.

Quick Reply: High Performance Driver Education Safety Poll