S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

High Performance Driver Education Safety Poll

Old 09-03-2004, 06:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default High Performance Driver Education Safety Poll

All-

I'm going to my first first HPDE event at Mid-Ohio on Monday and have been trying to learn everything I can from this site to get ready. In my reading, I've been a little dismayed by the number of posts where people have said something like, "When I rolled my S2000 ..."

So, I thought maybe I'd start a little poll to try to get a reasonable approximation at how safe these events are.

I was hoping people would respond to this thread with the following information:

# of DAYS spent at HPDE events (not racing, not auto-x)
# of off-track-excursions with no damage
# of off-track-excursions with minor damage (up to $1500)
# of off-track-excursions with moderate damage (up to $10,000)
# of off-track-excursions with severe damage (more than $10,000)

Also, describe any injuries you sustained.

I hope this thread isn't seen as a downer. I think it's important that any of us understand the risks/rewards of anything we do. Also, if there are suggestions on a better way to do this poll, or if there is another thread covering this topic, please let me know.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing everyone's experience!
Old 09-03-2004, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone actually rolled in a DE event?
Most I've read are stupid driving ont he streets.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by shingles,Sep 3 2004, 09:45 AM
has anyone actually rolled in a DE event?
Most I've read are stupid driving ont he streets.
I think that's probably right, from what I read. But the question is still valid since more tracks seem to be requiring roll-bars. At Mid-Ohio, I'll be required to run with the top up! Granted I'm a total novice, but I don't understand the point of that!
Old 09-03-2004, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its easy to roll a car if you go off-track into the sand and try to get back on the track. the tires will grip into the sand and you'll go splat. bet advice is to listen to your instructor and if you go off, control the car to a stop. its just a DE, not a race...i run a DE down at roebling, and this is what i tell people we are more concerned with people hitting the concrete wall at the end of turn 9/10 at 80mph though
Old 09-03-2004, 07:00 AM

Bridow and Shingles-

Thanks for the posts. What are you're actual experiences?
Old 09-03-2004, 08:26 AM

I think you'll find that actual experiences will vary quite a bit. You can always look up an actual number of incidents that happen over the course of year at any particular road course, but I think you're looking for incidents or accidents that have happened at DE events. You'll have to contact the various DE event organizers to find out what their record is regarding accidents if you want a good idea of what going on at the track. I only know of one roll over incident that happened at a DE event involving an S2000, and I'm not sure what DE event it was other than it occurred at Thunderhill some time ago.

With all that said, I think you have to accept the fact that you may damage your car when you take it out on a road course. People get minor damage all the time when going to track days, but that comes with the experience of driving your car on the track. If you're extra careful and don't push the car beyond the limits, then you'll be fine at the track, most likely with no off-track-excursions at all. But you never know. You may get a little over zealous, come into a turn a little to hot, and before you know it - you're off track. But that's OK, cause that's what it's all about, learning the limits of you car. If you pay attention to your instructor then you'll be fine.

Wow, that was a little long winded.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6 # of DAYS spent at HPDE events (not racing, not auto-x)
1* # of off-track-excursions with no damage
0 # of off-track-excursions with minor damage (up to $1500)
0 # of off-track-excursions with moderate damage (up to $10,000)
0 # of off-track-excursions with severe damage (more than $10,000)

*My 1 OTE was at turn 6 at Texas World Speedway (back when I still drove my Prelude). I lifted in the middle of the turn and the tail came around on me, sending me into a spin on the inside of the course. Ground was soft, and there was definitely some heavy duty bouncing across some ruts, but no damage. Clumps of dirt and grass were falling out of the bottom of my car for weeks, though (even after I washed it).

I generally run track events at 8/10ths, just because most tracks are far from my house, and I want to be sure I can drive the car home.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:43 AM

25 # of DAYS spent at HPDE events (not racing, not auto-x)
1 # of off-track-excursions with no damage
0 # of off-track-excursions with minor damage (up to $1500)
0 # of off-track-excursions with moderate damage (up to $10,000)
0 # of off-track-excursions with severe damage (more than $10,000)

There you go.

I've spun the car 5 or 6 times, only one resuliting in more than 2 wheels off.

As far as dameage, I've hit a few cones, resulting in some scuffs to the front bumper and rocker panels, and a dent to one rocker panel. My one spin off track caused the left front tire to contact the underside of the fender, causing a crease. Since I haven't cared to fix any of those, I'm counting 'em as no damage.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:02 AM
jzr

~25 HPDE Days
2-3 times left the track not of my own volition. One was a simple low=speed spin I was asking for, one was an aftermarket brake kit failure, and the other was a 115mph incident in turn 8 at Willow Springs (rear wheels stayed on asphalt) that slightly skewed front alignment, but no real damage.
Gone 4 wheels off on plenty other occasions without ever lifting off the gas (like T4 at Laguna, T7 at Pahrump, T8 at Thunderhill CW) and 2 wheels off in more places than I can count.

In a lot of cases it's better tojust drive off the track and gradually bring it back on than it is to try and "save" it. If you go off track with the car facing perpendicular to the direction of travel, your chances for rolling are much higher.

I sincerely suggest any new S2000 owner participate in at least one autocross before taking the car to the track. A spin (or 5) at the autocross isn't going to hurt anyone or anything, and just a few minutes of seat time can teach a person the car control skills they need to avoid a spin on a track/corner that can lead to a wadded up car.

I've seen plenty of wadded up S2Ks at the track; in my first year the observed average of 1/30 leaving on a flatbed was about right. It might be a bit lower now.

Only S2K I've seen shiny-side down was on the street, or more accurately in a riverbed beside the street. My first and last "group drive"!

Good luck man, have fun out there!
Old 09-03-2004, 09:38 AM

3 days, 4 OTEs, 0 damage

1 missed downshift resulting in spin. (T3 SoW) Drove off at 5 mph to get out of the way of traffic
1 missed braking point heading into Star Mazda at ButtonWillow. Slow 90* spin. Drove off at 5mph to get out of the way of traffic
1 time heading onto the front straight at buttonwillow. Drove straight off rather than risk the wall
1 time heading up lost hill (or magic mountain?) at buttonwillow. Drove around the backside (Boy was that a busy session!!!!)

In all cases, I could have kept it on course, but felt going off course would be the safer choice.

Like Jason, I have had a couple instances where I was 4 wheels off, but under control --- just using all the track and then some.

Quick Reply: High Performance Driver Education Safety Poll