S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Helper Springs vs. Spring Spacers

Old 09-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Gumby
The reason I needed the spring spacers in front was because the 6" springs was slamming the car. Even with the spring perch at the highest setting the front was too low to drive, spring spacers helped with the problem, but not solve it. Even though I'm using linear springs, I think I'm preloading the main spring too much to achieve the ride height. The rear had problems of having too much droop. My shock builder is adamant against using helper springs or spacers. I'm gonna send them back sometime this month, he's talking about droop limiters to fix the problem.
Wow! confusing first post if this post above is correct.

In the case of the car being too low and you running out of threads on the damper body then depending on your spring rate you might have to either get a spring spacer or a longer spring. You don't want to reach spring bind before reaching the dampers useable travel. Depending on ride height this could possibly happen with a 400lb 6" spring with our car.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about the confusion, I realize that I have two separate issue on front and rear shocks.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:56 AM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by macr88
Why is it that neither of these answers sound correct.

It sounds like your concern is a loose spring when the car is jacked up, a spring spacer won't do anything for you except allow you to run a shorter spring. If you buy a 2" spring spacer you'll have to adjust your preload adjuster two inches lower to remain at your current ride height. You'll end up with a floppy spring and spring spacer at that point when the car is jacked up.

What you want is a helper spring if you want the main spring to always be captured when the car is jacked up.
I hate terms like 'preload adjuster' because I think it just further confuses people. It's a spring perch, plain and simple.

Raise your spring perch, raise your ride height.
Lower your spring perch, lower your ride height.
Add as spacer, raise your ride height the thickness of the spacer.
Remove a spacer, lower your ride height.
Add a helper spring, you will raise your ride height the distance of the thickness of the helper spring when fully compressed.

For simplicity's sake, leave it at this until there's a more technical question on preload. Yes you will start preloading your spring as you start to compress it to raise your ride height beyond the shock length and length of the spring -but for most people's sake, just think of it as ride height and corner ride height and don't worry about 'preload' until you have a preload-specific problem or questions.

There's nothing wrong with spacers or longer springs, and nothing wrong with helper springs especially of the spring will flop around at full droop.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Former Moderator

Sorry Billy
I agree, it does confuse people, lower spring perch from now on.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:32 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by macr88
Sorry Billy
I agree, it does confuse people, lower spring perch from now on.
Or simply "spring perch" since the top of the spring sits inside the 'hat'.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Former Moderator