S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Help Me Diagnose Suspension Issue - Edit: Problem solved- 1 tire very low on pressure

Old 06-05-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Diagnose Suspension Issue - Edit: Problem solved- 1 tire very low on pressure

Hi Gents,

Like the title says, any idea what's up?

The car yaws clockwise (to the right) on throttle, then counter clockwise when lifting/braking. Not minor, it is significant. I did a quick walkaround and look under the car today and nothing was apparently bad, so I think a suspension or subframe bolt is loose somewhere. I plan to put the car up on jackstands tomorrow and go through every suspension related bolt. Is there anything in your experience I should check for that you have a hunch on? Loose subframe bolts maybe?

Pretty crazy, when you let of throttle, the front of the car darts to the left pretty violently. No fun driving until this gets fixed (first time taking the car out in many, many months, noticed it the last time I drove it but was more pronounced this time.)

Thanks,

UPDATE: Problem identified and solution successful. Had 1 tire down to 14 psi, while all of the others were a little under 30. I overlooked the low tire because it did not look like it was low on air! Filled up to 32psi all around, and the issue is gone. Lesson learned!
Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

check tire pressures
Old 06-05-2014, 06:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Air pressure will do this if it's a lot. Last time I had a bend in a rim and didn't notice but this is what it felt like. Try another set of rims
Old 06-05-2014, 06:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Small chance, but I had a spring divider break (albeit safely and settled right) lowering one corner and throwing off alignment. Car pulled like this on/off throttle and braking, though not as violent as you are describing.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a tire that went flat for me. Oddly enough flat RS3 look inflated. lol.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:36 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Any chance an engine mount has failed? Seems like this might have the opposite effect though due to the rotation of the engine. Does the car just do small short darts to either side right when you are on or off throttle or does it continue to pull in either direction?

Could also just be tire wear.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:59 PM

Being something that's changed since the last drive, I'd bet a $izeable chunk that it's just tire pressures, a side to side split has a huge impact on what the car does, as you describe. But in the case that it's not, the things to check would be anything that would affect the rear alignment dynamically - suspension bushings, ball joints, toe control link joints, etc. The subframe being loose probably wouldn't cause the car to yaw because the entire suspension is bolted to it - it would cause the car to drive down the road "crabbed".
Old 06-05-2014, 08:16 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to assume that Nick is seasoned enough that he already checked tire pressures.

Here's another thought:
Check the rear diff mounts to see if one has ruptured and leaking it's fluid.
A local guy tore a diff mount and thought it was something in the suspension but turned out to be the mount rotation causing the issue.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 PM

BAHAHAHA!

Charles, you would think so!

Thank you ALL for the quick and informed responses my s2ki brothers! Gents, you were/are ALL right... When I looked around today the tires all looked inflated well (245/255 Full Tread Dunlop Z1 Star Spec on stock CR wheels.) I am anal about checking pressures normally and checked them before I parked it back in the winter. Figured there was no way they could be THAT far off....

Well, with my nifty new edition Long-acre racing liguid filled, pressure relief valve equipped tire pressure gauge (cold outside)

Psi:
Front: L 27 R 27
Rear: L 29 R 14

So, yeah, she will be reset promptly before the drive in to work tomorrow. I'm willing to bet it's gonna help the situation....

I'll confirm/post a restored balance around 9:00 Eastern Time tomorrow, haha

One thing that has been confirmed, is I get the n00b award today

Night
Old 06-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nooby Mcnooberson!

Psst, inflate to 60psi for storage to prevent flat spotting.

Quick Reply: Help Me Diagnose Suspension Issue - Edit: Problem solved- 1 tire very low on pressure