S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Helmets

Old 07-07-2004, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets

Besides having a SNELL 2000 approved helmet, are there any other requirements for Auto X and other courses such as Limerock, Watkins Glen and Pocono? Do different courses have different helmet requirements?

It doesn't have to be full face does it?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2004, 08:02 PM

nope...you don't have to have a full face one. I got a M for sale....it is a HJC and have used it for autox'n at many events and also Nationals....

Since I have over 6 helmets (don't ask me why.... ), I will let mine go for $ 30 delivered....yes, I am selling everything. TTZ06 here we come
Old 07-08-2004, 06:39 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For autocross, an M95 or better helmet is required. For track days, it depends on the track and the organization hosting the event. Some allow M's, others require SA's. Open vs Full-Face is a personal choice. I prefer full-face because of the extra protection in the event you have to actually rely on the helmet to save your life. The visor keeps bits of road debris out of your eyes, too!
Old 07-08-2004, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are going to find it is not about the tracks, it is about the organization that is running the school. I know several organizations that run at The Glen, and they have different helmet requirements.

As far as I'm concerned, if you are doing high-speed track events you should have a full face, it is safer. What is that line? How much does it cost to replace your jaw, is it more or less than the difference in helmet prices?
Old 07-08-2004, 08:57 AM

You're fine for autocross.

For track events you also have to find out the organizer's policy on rollover protection for convertibles. Some will be OK with the stock S2000, some will require an aftermarket roll bar and some will accept stock S2000 with hardtop (which makes no sense).
Old 07-08-2004, 05:28 PM

I'm still torn between the two different types of helmets. (full face vs. open) What is the likelihood of hitting your jaw? Wouldn't the airbag make contact with the top portion of the helmet?

If I were to to more high speed track events, I would not use the s2000 because of the roll bar issue.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by rsxblondie,Jul 8 2004, 07:28 PM
I'm still torn between the two different types of helmets. (full face vs. open) What is the likelihood of hitting your jaw? Wouldn't the airbag make contact with the top portion of the helmet?
Why are you debating about this? This is not a debate! You have only one brain, and once one face. No matter how good trauma surgeons, cosmetic surgeons, oral maxillofacial surgeons, and neurosurgeons are nowadays, believe me, YOU DONT WANT BE THERE CUSTOMER!

I know I don't want to have my jaw wired shut due to a fracture just because I felt that my jaw would protect me more than a helmet. I am obviously being overtly dramatic to make a point. This is your life. Don't mess with such a precious thing.

When I was shopping for helmets, I told the shop owner- "Show me all the Closed Face Helmets that meet the latest SA requirements"

btw, here a link to a similar discussion on the NSX site

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread....ghlight=Helmets
Old 07-09-2004, 02:50 PM

just FYI... while at the track several weeks back I had a stone come in through the window and hit my regular eyeglasses. I do have an full helmet with visor which I now wear in the down position on the track. At the speed the stone was going it would have hit my eye or been in my eye had I not been wearing glasses.

There's all kinds of junk flying around on the track when cars are ripping around... unless you have a window net I'd suggest at the very least getting a full faced helmet and think about wearing the visor down.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 315 Likes on 149 Posts

Well, there's open-face and then there's open-face. One still has wraparound chin protection, just no visor. Many still consider this a full-face design. The other is the Earnhardt/Harley-Davidson "batting helmet" -- I don't know anyone who seriously thinks this is acceptable for motorsports anymore.

Yes, definitely go full-face, with or without a visor. Ideally get one with a detachable visor so you have the choice depending on the event. Otherwise remember you'll need some minimal sort of eye protection (e.g. regular eyeglasses) to keep dirt and debris from temporarily blinding you.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rsxblondie,Jul 8 2004, 07:28 PM

If I were to to more high speed track events, I would not use the s2000 because of the roll bar issue.
Dale Earnhart was wearing an open face helmet when he was killed at Daytona. He loosened his shoulder belts and his face was crushed against the steering wheel. I would imagine that there is enough slack in the stock belts to allow this to happen. Yes, the airbag should prevent this but why take the chance?

Quick Reply: Helmets