S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

helmet question

Old 04-09-2005, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out World Rally drivers also. And they have rocks and trees coming through the winshield sometimes. (Though I use a full-face)
Old 04-09-2005, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rlaifatt,Apr 9 2005, 11:33 AM
Check out World Rally drivers also. And they have rocks and trees coming through the winshield sometimes. (Though I use a full-face)
I remeber that one.
Now I guess I have to ask if anyone has seen one in roadcourse car..
Old 04-09-2005, 09:26 AM

I had a full closed-face helmet, but I could find no way to make it so my glasses wouldn't fog up, so I took the face mask off. I personally like the added protection for the jaw, but I'm not too keen on not being able to see, so this is a good compromise for me.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jonam,Apr 9 2005, 05:15 AM
It's more about safety than preference, IMO.
You are confusing "safety" and "perception of safety", IMO.

Yes, certainly a full-face helmet protects better against a blow to the jaw. But that's about the only place it protects better. And, as noted above, there is some concern that in a car with airbags it may not even protect as well. So tradeoffs abound, and I haven't seen any rigorous studies done on the subject yet.

Some people like a full-face because they feel completely enclosed and protected, and other people like an open face specifically because they don't feel completely enclosed. Vision is usually better with open face, but yes you do need to wear something to protect your eyes.

If someone can post an actual peer-reviewed scientific study on the subject, that would be great.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by jonam,Apr 9 2005, 07:46 AM
Now I guess I have to ask if anyone has seen one in roadcourse car..
Formula car drivers all use closed face, but that is at least partly because the helmet is in the airstream and is part of the aero package. Many motorcyclists and especially snowmobilers prefer closed face because they are warmer.

It's still preference. Even safety choices are preference. I choose not to wear my helmet at all when driving on the freeway, even though the speeds are similar to the track. Even though "who knows what could come flying into the car"....
Old 04-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Apr 9 2005, 09:44 AM
Formula car drivers all use closed face, but that is at least partly because the helmet is in the airstream and is part of the aero package.
Um, it's also because you get pelted in the face by rocks, gravel, rubber pellets, nuts, bolts and other debris coming off the car in front of you, not to mention engine oil or coolant at high temps....oh and that pesky fire thing too

If you've ever been in an open wheeled car you know what I mean. The aero is a small part of it
Old 04-09-2005, 09:56 AM

BTW, I have yet to see a kart track that allows open face helmets. So if you do a lot of karting, that is an obvious reason to buy closed face.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ludedude,Apr 9 2005, 09:55 AM
Um, it's also because you get pelted in the face by rocks, gravel, rubber pellets, nuts, bolts and other debris coming off the car in front of you, not to mention engine oil or coolant at high temps....oh and that pesky fire thing too

If you've ever been in an open wheeled car you know what I mean. The aero is a small part of it
Yeah, well I can buy that. But "top down in the S2000" != "head sticking up out of a FF cockpit". That big honkin drag generator called the "windshield" is pretty protective.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Apr 9 2005, 12:41 PM
If someone can post an actual peer-reviewed scientific study on the subject, that would be great.
It's probably here somewhere.
http://www.smf.org/
http://64.143.25.84/standards/sa/sa20std.html

Perhaps there might be something in a peer reviewed journal if SAE publications count, but they are not posted on the internet.

Besides the physical protection, full face helmet may provide a short period of protection from inhaling flame or superheated air, especially if equiped with air supply as part of the automatic fire system. This is important in some racing venues, but a negligible risk in autocross or track days.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Apr 9 2005, 01:41 PM
You are confusing "safety" and "perception of safety", IMO.

Yes, certainly a full-face helmet protects better against a blow to the jaw. But that's about the only place it protects better. And, as noted above, there is some concern that in a car with airbags it may not even protect as well. So tradeoffs abound, and I haven't seen any rigorous studies done on the subject yet.

Some people like a full-face because they feel completely enclosed and protected, and other people like an open face specifically because they don't feel completely enclosed. Vision is usually better with open face, but yes you do need to wear something to protect your eyes.

then tell me why open face better than closed one other than your preference.
To me a open face helmet is not good enough to protect myself from flying objects (since I experienced sand and marbles into my eyes and face) or possible fire.
Even if it's open face, there's one which designed to protect you jaw.but what would you wear to protect your eyes or face skin? or do you wear balaclova for the protection from fire during DE? Yes, the chance of fire would be less than actual racing..but by how much? By more than amount for the convenience and better view (I did not see I had better view with open helmet, though)?
Just throwing my thought in.

I agree if there's a scientific study out there, that would be great.

Quick Reply: helmet question