S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

helmet question

Old 04-08-2005, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up helmet question

is this a good helmet for use on a track day? and is it a good price, or does anyone know where i can get it cheaper? TIA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7&category=6749

Old 04-08-2005, 06:09 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Before buying a helmet, find out what the tracks and your racing organization require. Some do not allow open face helmets and require a certain DOT and/or Snell approval (the one you listed looks to be SA2000 which should satisfy most/all but the open face is questionable). I would also HIGHLY recommend trying on a helmet before buying one.

Edit: Also, even if your track/organization allows open-face, you may want a full face if this is something you are really into.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:25 AM

I myself will not wear an open face helmet...
Old 04-08-2005, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Triple-H, check out this advisory regarding the use of closed-face helmets in cars equipped with airbags: http://www.nyr-scca.com/memInfo.htm

Let it rev !
Uwe
Old 04-08-2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by OOH-VAE,Apr 8 2005, 11:27 AM
Triple-H, check out this advisory regarding the use of closed-face helmets in cars equipped with airbags
I know all abbout it, and I do not buy it, along with a lot of other people. During an impact that will release the airbag you are typically thrown forward, thus your head is down. The airbag is more likely to get under your chin or the fullface helmet if you were sitting back in the seat, but you are not, you are being thrown forward, chin down.

There is no way in hell I'm wearing an open face helmet. Hubert Gramling is an expert in the field, however and I quote "that the risk of fractures to the jaw cannot be ruled out". Can you please tell me how any risk can be ruled out when you are on the track? People have to decide for themselves what their risk management profile is, as an instructor mine is high just because I'm willing to get in the front seat of student drivers and encourage them to go faster. No thanks I'll keep my full face helmet.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:45 PM

If you have a convertible then DO NOT get an open face helmet. Some organizations will not even let you drive an open top car without any face protection. I drive on the track with the top down who knows what can come flying in there.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silversprint,Apr 8 2005, 09:45 PM
If you have a convertible then DO NOT get an open face helmet. Some organizations will not even let you drive an open top car without any face protection. I drive on the track with the top down who knows what can come flying in there.
Look guys, people ride freakin motorcycles with open face helmets. A convertible is a lot more sheltered than a motorcycle.

Personally I've operated motorcycles, snowmobiles, and yes my S2000 with an open face helmet. There are plusses and minuses to everything, but it certainly is not an automatic death sentence to venture out on the track with an open face. I was in a crash that came within a whisker of totalling my S last year, and I had only a mild concussion and some neck tension problems -- none of which would have been changed by having a closed face helmet. (A HANS, maybe...)

In fact, I know a few veteran driving instructors who prefer open face helmets because it is easier to make a personal connection with their students. It's all a matter of personal preference.

If your personal preference is a closed face helmet, or if it required by your track organization (very rare, except for wheel-to-wheel racing), then buy a closed face. But don't assume everyone else has your same preferences.

Do you wear a helmet at all when you are out driving around in traffic? If not, why does driving on the track suddenly require a closed face helmet?
Old 04-09-2005, 05:15 AM

It's more about safety than preference, IMO. I haven't seen a professional racer who uses open face helmet.
Especially as some folks pointed out, if convertible, I'd go with closed one. There can be flying objects, fire and so on. Heck, often a car in front throws sands and marbles toward me.
There was a guy who crashed his M3 (front impact around 50 mph) and he did not get hurt by airbag and closed helmet. One data point and my $0.02.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jonam,Apr 9 2005, 08:15 AM
I haven't seen a professional racer who uses open face helmet.
You might look at the helmets in the next NASCAR race.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:46 AM

NASCAR?!
No wonder, since I never watch NASCAR...however, I bet they wear at least balaclava, right? which is not required in DE...but it's interesting if open face helmet is allowed...

Quick Reply: helmet question