S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Heater Core Removal

Old 02-15-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heater Core Removal

I pulled my AC out and am considering pulling the AC/Heater core out completely, but need a front windshield defroster solution. Fog-X never seems to cut it.

For those of you who have removed your heater core, how do you defrost the front windshield when it starts to fog up? Are there any aftermarket heater options that can easily be plugged in in the winter and removed in the summer?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 2 cores in the HVAC unit, one is for coolant, the other for the AC. I only removed the AC core (which can be done without pulling the dash) in the race car.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:28 AM

So it can be done w/o removing the dash....any tricks to getting just that out?
Old 02-15-2005, 12:57 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Big ing hammer???? I removed all from my car and tried it with a hammer and chisel.... eventually i gave up and took the dash out.

I have not had any fogging issues but I have not really run in the rain either....or the cold...
Old 02-15-2005, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nobody' date='Feb 15 2005, 03:28 PM
The A/C one comes out without dash removal, just carefully follow the shop manual. Once it's completely free, it will squeeze by the dash with just a little flexing of the lower dash (where the "glovebox" trim piece comes off). I pulled the core out, taped over the holes and put it back in. For T2, only A/C removal is legal plus I don't want to be without defog. On the 25 Hr TL, we completely gutted all the internals to the HVAC. All that wa left was the fan motor on one open port to the def. Everything else was removed and blocked off. We even got rid of the regular HVAC controls and just wired a switch to manual control hi fan only.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobody' date='Feb 15 2005, 12:28 PM
heatercore requires dash to be out. i did mine last month.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen these used in some race cars. Seems to work fairly well.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product.../p-1013/c-10101
Old 02-20-2005, 04:40 PM

Just what I've been looking for Voodoo. I'll check it out.

I decided to pull the core out today (before reading the last post)....and yup, the blower can come out without taking the dash out (the heater requires the dash to be removed, though).

It's a little easier without a passenger side airbag--so if anyone is going to attempt it themselves, I'd say the extra time it takes to remove the airbag will save you time and frustration (of course, if you still have airbags, you probably wouldn't be looking at doing a project like this yet). Aside from one bolt that was carefully hidden by Honda engineers, it's pretty much a straightforward job.

My semi-accurate digital scale read 8.5 lbs for the entire Evap/Blower assembly. The Evaporator unit itself is pretty light, though--empty it's probably 1.5 lbs. Definitely not a good weight loss:time ratio.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:22 PM

In my experience, the 12V (J.C. Whitney) heaters are absolutely useless. I bought one, and it generates about as much heat as your breath. I got mine for heat, and plugged it in once before giving up and springing for headers with heat exchangers. I don't think the 12V unit would be at all effective at keeping the windshield defogged.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah yes, headers with heat exchangers. Gotta love that aircooled goodness

Quick Reply: Heater Core Removal