S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Has anyone broken an axle/cv joint?

Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Has anyone broken an axle/cv joint?

Just got home after a long day.

Quick recap: I had gone out on track, run a few laps to get heat in the tires, came into the pits, bled air, and was going back out. As I was pulling out of the hot pits on track, I heard a pop as I let the clutch out on my 1-2 shift. Having no power as I gassed, I assumed that I had missed the 1-2 shift, and pressed the clutch in and attempted to go into 2nd gear on the shifter, only to find I was already in 2nd. I let the clutch out and gassed, and had no power. The initial shift had not even been in VTEC.

Initially I assumed that the diff had given out. There was a rhythmic noise as I rolled backwards into the cold pits (the layout of the track conveniently let me get off track simply by going straight backwards, and I was on an incline that let me just roll. This was with the accompaniment of fire/tow under a yellow at start/finish (and I was also in plain view, close to the racing line but not in the path of or crossing).

When I came off, I noticed that there was a TON of grease on my left rear wheel and the surrounding area of the CV boot, and the axle itself was just hanging.

Has something like this happened to anyone?

This could have been much worse if it had happened during a hot lap, rather than as I was entering the track... :crosses fingers:
Old 01-15-2012, 06:18 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's happened to people in autocross after repeated launching. Haven't heard about at track, but seems reasonable after many heat cycles. Hey, if you had a clutch-type diff you'd still have some power, right?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Kangwoo broke one, or someone with a berlina ap2 if I recall correctly. Something about shifting over a bump
Old 01-15-2012, 01:51 PM

Yeah, he did. Relatively cheap fix, but I'm more wondering if I should just replace both sides.

My car has never been launched, but it's been subjected to some hard shifting. No no-lift shifts or anything abusive though.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:42 PM

Is itbpossible the boot was split before the track day? Ie grease gone and overheated the cv's?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:22 PM

Dave Roberts broke one at a local event.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah more common of a failure at auto-x. not very common w/ track folks running na.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by murderedrsx
Is itbpossible the boot was split before the track day? Ie grease gone and overheated the cv's?
Don't think so. The grease was EVERYWHERE, and had no dirt or anything on it, indicating it was fresh. The grease on the wheel wasn't flattened out or anything so it was from when it popped.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:17 PM

Received 612 Likes on 427 Posts

Are you going to have it fixed in time for the first event at BW in 2 weeks?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Are you going to have it fixed in time for the first event at BW in 2 weeks?
Here comes your free street class win

Quick Reply: Has anyone broken an axle/cv joint?