S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Harness Floor Install

Old 03-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness Floor Install

So i have on order a Harddog Roll bar and already have a 6pt Sparco harness, I am wondering where you guys decided to mount your lap belt?

I cannot find a good pic or thread about the placement of the Lap belt, i plan on using Eyebolts and backing plates have Snap in fittings for the harness.

I have searched and found lots of threads about the shoulder harness, but not about where to put the lap. i know i need it around a 45-55 degree angle to me but just wanted to know what you guys with harness's are really doing.

And i ask please please refrain from starting a debate about the use of a harness on the street or anything down that line, there are plenty of threads filled with that already,

Oh and i am using a Memfab seat rail and a Recaro Profi seat,
thanks Jake
Old 03-12-2009, 05:04 PM

**sorry i thought your post said 5pt**

I've heard something along the lines of you have to get a 6 point to make the install go over a little easier.

I guess there is a chassis frame rail under the drivers seat that makes mounting a 5pt a bitch.
(I do not have any personal experience with this though)
Old 03-12-2009, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not my car but some pics I took of one while at the track. I hope the owner doesn't mind me posting the pics. This will show you both lap belt eye bolts as well as the sub belt location. Just fine tune the location on your car to where your seat will be located, everyones will be a little different.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Typically people use the factory mount point on the outside, tap a new one into the tunnel on the inside, and tap two anchors on the floor (one on each side of the box beam that runs directly under the seat centerline.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:32 AM

thanks that is exactly what i was looking for.
When tapping a new hole on the inside of the tunnel is it thin enough to used a backing plate on the Eye bolt.
It seems like in the pic that the eyebolts are welded in?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:02 AM

IN the pics posted the plats are welded on but I did not look to see if it is also though bolted. It's just what the cage builder did to meet racing specs. Good question.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, there is plenty of clearance in the tunnel for backing plates.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:56 AM

I just did this install a couple months ago, and was looking exactly what you're looking for.

First off, by the look of it, you're only doing the driver's side?

For my outside lap belt I went with this:
http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9003.php

It comes with the hardware needed to mount it. It goes where the OEM seatbelt is mounted to the chassis. So instead of:

Chassis---OEM Belt<-----bolt
It is now:
Chassis----stepped spacer (included) with snap-in bracket around it----OEM belt<----longer bolt (included)

The inside belt snaps onto an eye bolt drilled through the transmission tunnel with a backing plate.

Those brackets are kind of expensive ($70, sold in pair only), but I still have my extra one with hardware laying around. I think it's the way to go if you're looking at an OEM belt/snap-in harness combo. PM me if you're interested.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:39 PM

ok good there is room for the bolts on the inside.

AH i am actually going to do both sides. I like the ideal of that but am wondering how strong that system really is?
I know that the OEM mount is strong but it seens like a lot of pressure on a longer bolt.

Where did you order these from, and from what you said it is a complete bolt meaning the OEM bolt is the same thread for the Porsche and the S2000?

Thanks for all the good Info
Old 03-13-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Globe182jp,Mar 13 2009, 10:39 PM
ok good there is room for the bolts on the inside.

AH i am actually going to do both sides. I like the ideal of that but am wondering how strong that system really is?
I know that the OEM mount is strong but it seens like a lot of pressure on a longer bolt.

Where did you order these from, and from what you said it is a complete bolt meaning the OEM bolt is the same thread for the Porsche and the S2000?

Thanks for all the good Info
I ordered everything from hmsmotorsport.com

The bolt used for the anchor point is pretty beefy, I believe its a grade 8 bolt as well. Similar to what Hard Dog sends you to bolt down the roll bar. I wouldn't worry about the length of the bolt, it's really not that much longer anyway.

The kit is originally designed for a Porsche (Boxster/Cayman I believe), but the bolt used works in our cars as well. The person I spoke to on the phone said the bolt used for anchoring the seat belt is pretty common across manufacturers.

As for doing the passenger side, you might need to get something welded. If that's the case, I guess you might as well have them all welded, unless you just want to DIY as much as possible.