S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Harness Bar and Hardtop

Old 05-05-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness Bar and Hardtop

Hey guys so I was browsing on Evasive today and saw that Racing Factory Yamamoto (RFY) started making a harness bar for the s2000. It's only a harness bar and does not provide any roll protection. I wanted to see if any of you guys know if a hardtop plus that harness bar will be enough for track and/or some sort of organized competition. Let me know if any of you guys have information about this.

Link to Harness Bar: http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...RFY-HARNESSBAR
Old 05-05-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

To me looks like the worst of both worlds, have to chop up all your plastics and loose a bunch of leg room (if you're tallish) but don't get the superior protection of the full roll hoop. I wouldn't trust the hard top as a rollover protection device even if some tracks count it. Also it's important to note that you should never use a 4/5/6 point harness unless you have sufficient rollover protection to ensure that you head would never contact the ground in a roll. The factory 3 point allows you body to move, a 4/5/6 point keeps your shoulders locked into place and would be significantly more dangerous without proper rollover protection.

Proper rollover protection of course depends on your height, if you are short the factory could've perfectly fine.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by gregrocks
To me looks like the worst of both worlds, have to chop up all your plastics and loose a bunch of leg room (if you're tallish) but don't get the superior protection of the full roll hoop. I wouldn't trust the hard top as a rollover protection device even if some tracks count it. Also it's important to note that you should never use a 4/5/6 point harness unless you have sufficient rollover protection to ensure that you head would never contact the ground in a roll. The factory 3 point allows you body to move, a 4/5/6 point keeps your shoulders locked into place and would be significantly more dangerous without proper rollover protection.

Proper rollover protection of course depends on your height, if you are short the factory could've perfectly fine.
I'm about 5'9 and 5'10 with a helmet, the reason im tempted to go this route is because Ive been considering getting a hardtop once my softtop is worn out and needs to be replaced. This harness bar can reduce a bit of the cost to run a harness once I have a hardtop. I get this is a "pay to play" game but I still would like to make it somewhat affordable haha
Old 05-05-2016, 04:16 PM

Yikes, I would actually feel safer driving tracking a stock S2000 with the factory 3-point belt. Once you are properly strapped in with a 5/6-point harness you should not have any ability to squirm or contort your way out of the seat. In the event of a rollover the harness is going to make damned sure that your neck winds up supporting the weight of the car.

Not that a rollover would be any fun with a 3-point belt either, but at least we can imagine that you could squeeze into some position where your appendages don't become load bearing structures.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

When that sort of crash comes there isn't a lot of wiggling time.

There are some other threads where posters talk about seats that get the driver lower in the car. The seat retains the driver better, being lower gives some roll bar clearance, and lowers the CG fractionally. The view is different. Some seats have removable lateral head restraints.

There are other threads here that discuss the seats in detail.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:10 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

For that price...just get a harddog man (550ish)! Superior protection and you can just gut the plastics so you dont have to cut them.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:23 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Do it right or leave it all factory.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

if you're willing to go that rout, then you might as well do this hack job instead. It's cleaner, cheaper, and allows you to keep your leg room.

https://www.balladesports.com/produc...op-harness-bar

I don't advocate either of them, and would rather have an all OEM setup in the even of an incident. Either leave it alone and stay all OEM, or go all the way and do it right.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:29 PM

Many organizations (Audi, BMW, some Porsche, etc.. Clubs) require a 4 point bar, harnesses, and seats for their HPDEs. So this would not pass their tech inspection.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:28 PM

Yeah it seems like the smarter choice to just save and do it right, thanks guys!