S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Hard dog roll bar question

Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks guys for the help.

i wish i got more pics from the guys that got the bar and have it already installed.. i havent had one unhappy customer with this bar.. everyone has been really happy, even so that texted me after they got it to tell me how much they appreciated it. i havent had this experience other than a few times with the hardtops that i sell.

these bars are quality built. i am proud of these things. i think we made an already good product better. i hope that the s2k community will support us and I will do my best to keep making s2000 specific quality parts
Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rockstar garage

i wish i got more pics from the guys that got the bar and have it already installed.. i havent had one unhappy customer with this bar.. everyone has been really happy, even so that texted me after they got it to tell me how much they appreciated it. i havent had this experience other than a few times with the hardtops that i sell.

these bars are quality built. i am proud of these things. i think we made an already good product better. i hope that the s2k community will support us and I will do my best to keep making s2000 specific quality parts
When you say "one size up" on the steel parts, exactly what size tubing and plates are you using?

It is DOM, right?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by MattP
Originally Posted by rockstar garage' timestamp='1334637547' post='21614550

When you say "one size up" on the steel parts, exactly what size tubing and plates are you using?

It is DOM, right?
5/16s on the steel plates

1.75 .120 wall DOM tube that we PROPERLY mandrel bend

Ive been working with roll bars for a long time. this isnt something new to me nor is it to the people i am working with.

just to put everyones mind at ease as to if my products are made properly, I used to work in a few different shops doing roll cages for s2000s, miatas, 240s etc.
i also know how picky most s2ki members are lol. I know what everyone is looking for. Ive been on this board for years under a different screen name im no stranger at the track. my main focus is on the s2000. ill eventually branch out to other makes and models, but the products will always be track oriented.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 AM
TWF

Ok guys, got roll bar this morning. Ordered on 16th and it was here today 18th, ground shipping, advantage of been one state away

Looks great and as described. I already stripped plastics out of the car few days ago so I went and dry fit it in. I did have to remove seat belt mechanisms to get it over bulkhead. Also had to move wires little so I can put them on top of plate. Other than that it was simple and easy.

It fits great. It clears soft top by about 1/2" on top and all around. Only thing touching it is seat on corner when seat is all the way back.

This is where my work ends. From here I will have local shop install plates and bolts and drill/cut whatever it needs. Not sure if holes can be drilled from under, if not bulkhead will have to come out and back in once bar is bolted. I think it can be done without taking it out by drilling one exposed hole, installing plate and than drilling rest of holes from bottom when plate is in the place.
There was no instruction for install that came with bar but I don't see reason for them. If you can't figure this out you should not be installing it yourself
If I had car lift I would do it myself.
If I missed something Rockstar can correct me.
Very happy with product so far. No plans for testing it but you never know
Old 04-18-2012, 10:08 AM
TWF

Here is with top closed.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The bar looks good. Can you or Rockstar Garage step on a body scale with the bar to see how much it weighs please? How much higher does it sit compared to the factory hoops?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM
TWF

I am scare of weight scales
Shipping label on box said 55#.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:38 AM
TWF

It is 4.5" higher than hoop. Hoops will not work with it unless you cut seat belt bracket from hoop, they need about 1/4" to clear.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by TWF
It is 4.5" higher than hoop. Hoops will not work with it unless you cut seat belt bracket from hoop, they need about 1/4" to clear.

I was told that it would fit with stock hoops and brackets. Can you take a pic of where it doesn't fit?
Also does the bulk have have to be trimmed for the main hoop legs?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If I had car lift I would do it myself.
You don't need a lift, just jack the rear end to remove the rear wheels. You can't drill the roll bar holes from below. For the forward supports you have to cut a slit in the forward edge of the rear wheel well to slide in the backing plate (at least that's how a Hard Dog works). An electric 4 or 6 inch cutting wheel works great for cutting the slit. Be sure and fill the slits with expanding foam to seal the slit. You can spray paint the foam black and you won't even know the slit was there. If you don't remove the "sealant" from the rear deck where the supports sit the sealant will "melt" and squish out from under the bar supports. If this happens re-torque the bar mounting bolts. Everything else is pretty straight forward. I did my install alone but a helper would have been nice. I never re-installed my trim so I can't speak for how difficult it is to do a good trim job.

Quick Reply: Hard dog roll bar question