S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Hard dog roll bar question

Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

FWIW, I kept the stock roll hoops and plastics with my HardDog install, and used the factory seatbelt guides. So that's also an option.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thicker tubing= better bar but more weight? How much more does yours weight? Did you guys find the comps bar to be to weak or something?

I'm not buying any bar but I'm curious as to why you went with a thicker tubing if the comps tubing is more then strong enough.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 AM
TWF

Hard dog is 1.75" x .120 tube according to their site. So, basically this is same bar.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive seen a few competitors bars and they advertise certain things when i doesnt seem to be the case..

a few advertise the 1.75 w/.120 wall.. also that they are mandrel bent.

we have tested a few bars and our competition has seemed to vary as far as tubing sizing. some lower gauge wall isnt neccessariyl bad. if anything the .120 wall could be considered over kill for the s2000 but its better safe than sorry. also, this ensures that no racing sanction would find the bar inadequate.

our plates, and backing plates are 1 size up from the 3/16th plates. again, maybe overkill but it works..

the most important thing about our bars is that we truely use a mandrel bender when bending our tubes. the bars are packed with sand and the mandrel is inserted into the tubing. put our bars next to one of our competitors and you will see a difference in the bends. our competition has a destortion to the tubing at the bends. which means the tubing is weaker in the corners.. its not something you can really see unless you are looking for it but you can definetly feel the difference when the bars are side by side.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If the price of the two roll bars are even close I'd go with the Hard Dog bar because it's a known, quality item and it's resale value will be pretty close to what you pay for it. Check the add for used Hard Dog S2000 bars and you'll see they go fast and command a high price.

If this new vendor goes belly up after a few units you're stuck with an unknown bar. This new vendor needs to give a pretty good discount to cover this "perceived resale value" issue until the new bar's reputation is solidified. If not go Hard Dog. I'm not trying to crap on a new forum sponsor but the resale value needed to be addressed. (I am not affiliated with Hard Dog, just a happy customer)
Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 AM
TWF

I was to buy hard dog because it is known but I just ordered this one from rockstar. Simply because it is in stock and I can get it in couple days (hd was 2-4 weeks). I don't see problem with it and can care less for resale. If I worry about resale value I would have never bought car in first place
I let you guys know about bar when I get it in car. From pictures and specs it should be in par with HD.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I mentioned resale value because here in the Mid-Atlantic there's a lot of movement between cars with track parts. We've had a couple of wings and roll bars go through 5 or 6 happy trackers.

TWF, let us know what you think of the looks, finish, fitment and install instructions. It's nice to have choices and competition is a good thing.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:11 PM
TWF

Will do. So far all good, ordered today and it is already shipped.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chugs
You need tabs on the Hard Dog bar to retain the stock belts. You can kind of see them in this photo, also see how the bar fits around the bulkhead.

[attachment=19227:IMG_7553.jpg]
This is the setup I am thinking of going with. Are those seat belt reels compromised like that without the roll hoops/covers?
Is it possible to put them back on with this configuration?

Also, for Rockstar, do you guys have a similar setup to retain the oem reels and possible hoops covers?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nos4you
Originally Posted by Chugs' timestamp='1334550033' post='21610869
You need tabs on the Hard Dog bar to retain the stock belts. You can kind of see them in this photo, also see how the bar fits around the bulkhead.

[attachment=19227:IMG_7553.jpg]
This is the setup I am thinking of going with. Are those seat belt reels compromised like that without the roll hoops/covers?
Is it possible to put them back on with this configuration?

Also, for Rockstar, do you guys have a similar setup to retain the oem reels and possible hoops covers?
The intertia reels for the seat belt are fine being exposed. With a lot of trimming I imagine you could put all of the plastic back on, but I didn't bother.

Quick Reply: Hard dog roll bar question