S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Hard Dog double diag + stock belts + harness?

Old 08-01-2010, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Dog double diag + stock belts + harness?

I am looking to add harnesses to my car - I have a Hard Dog roll bar with the double diagonal so the harness bar is lower and sits behind the stock seatbelt mount bulkhead. I am thinking of welding a mount to the harness bar and then running that mount through a couple holes in the bulkhead. Otherwise I will have to make some large cuts in the bulkhead for belts, and I'm not sure if it'll work b/c of the stock belt retractor location.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could just take out the bulkhead and use the harnesses all the time.

Racing seats aren't really designed to be used with the stock seat belt, and while it could work, it doesn't mean it should/will work when you need it most.

It takes a few extra seconds to get in the car, but you'll get used to it pretty quickly (even my gf is getting used to her harness), and, in fact, I can hardly stand riding in an S that doesn't have a 6pt

If you're worried about getting a ticket for it, almost every LEO that's pulled me over has commented on how much safer the harness is (knock on wood) and hasn't written a ticket for it. I've also passed NYS inspection 2-3 times since installing the SPG/Harness.

YMMV.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:36 PM

The car sees double duty as a street car, so the racing seats/harnesses would not be used on the street. I have used harnesses on the street and I am not interested in doing that with this car.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:44 PM

hasn't someone on the boards mounted their belt retractors on their rollbar?

either with welded on or clamped on brackets?

Old 08-03-2010, 02:57 AM

I'm currently in the middle of this right now. I'm having custom brackets made which attach the seat belt retractors to the car without the rear bulkhead. I just used the mounting holes for the OEM roll hoop and the footprint of the rear bulkhead as the two points for each side of the retractor. I'd post pics but they haven't been made yet.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:36 AM

Thanks - that is the direction I am going in as I have a MIG welder at my disposal.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 AM

Another option is getting rid of the OEM belts and retractor and going with the Schroth ASM FE 4pt harness. It's DOT-compliant (has a red "push" belt release button) and you can add a lower belt for track use. Once I shoehorn my Sparco Evo2 Plus in I'll likely go this route.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 AM

Good suggestion, but any setup that doesn't have retracting belts is going to be a huge pain. I am confident I can weld up something.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 PM

Post pics when you're done.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in for pics

Quick Reply: Hard Dog double diag + stock belts + harness?